🌈 Unicorn Chasers 🌈

GWAH! by lokitheraven

13 Likes

I haven’t been there for a long time. I live at 10 & Groesbeck now, in Warren. I have pleasant memories (read: long, possibly interesting stories) about my time in Detroit. Well, mostly.

6 Likes

I’ve lived here in Woodbridge since the middle of May of '84, just before turning 18. Place was built in 1910.

Often went to 3-4 shows a week and/or clubbing during the 80s. Lived thru some mad sh!t w/a buncha wonderful punks.

11 Likes

That’s a gorgeous house!

11 Likes

The house w/the speed bump sign in front of it was the house I grew up in. My parents bought it in 1957, paid off the mortgage in 1971, and we moved out in 1990. It’s since gone through a lot of changes, and most of them look like their good ones.

11 Likes

Mom paid $30 grand for it in the winter of '83.

Needs a LOT of work rn…

We’ve applied for historic district home repair funds, and got the worst part of the front porch redone last year; the other side needs help, too, but can wait. This year we’re getting the front porch steps replaced & the roof repaired. A couple contractors were brought over by one of the nice ladies who run the funding distribution just the other day. They’re doing inspections & making bids. Our next door neighbors are also getting new porch steps. Last year they got funding for gutters.

ETA: Thanks for the compliment! Sorry I had to edit this to say so - it’s one of my weird blind spots.

I used to post on a UK forum in the late 90s - early noughties. Someone started a thread called “Post your dodgy goth pics!” I posted a coupla old pics of myself, and added a pic of the house. Someone replied, “Wow! Even your house is goth!”

12 Likes

That’s awesome that you’re able to get support for repairs! This is why historic designations matter! It’s a huge problem here in ATL, sadly. Far too many of our historic buildings are gone now (mainly from early 20th century, since so much of the infrastructure was destroyed during the Civil War). But there has been greater focus on trying to preserve some of the older building/houses, though I don’t know if we have programs that give funding for historical preservation? Probably not.

9 Likes

LOLZ I grew up in Grosse Pointe, the City, on St Clair between Waterloo & Charlevoix! Right across from Elworthy Field.

I went to University-Liggett for 7-9th, then Grosse Pointe South.

'95-6 I lived on Devonshire, on the block above Mack. Lived on Mack for a minute in '85 with some friends who had a flat above Johnson’s Milk Depot, between Nottingham & Beaconsfield. They later rented a place with more friends on Van Dyke, maybe 3 blocks N of Jefferson, near Indian Village.

My BFF grew up on Bedford, two blocks above Mack; pretty 1920s English/Storybook. She went to Dominican. Still there with her parents, but spends weekends at her BF’s hysterical 50s ranch in St Clair Shores. He grew up in Highland Park.

7 Likes

I was born in GPF, at Cottage Hospital, but only spent the first five days of my life there. I know that area very well, having been an avid bicyclist in my teen years. In fact, all the areas you describe except for HP I know intimately. Or did. And my dad carried mail in GPP/GP/the Alter-Mack border in Detroit; he carried to some of the ol’ Mafia families that lived on Windmill Pointe.

If you would, what’s your BFF’s surname? You can PM it to me if you think it’s okay to share.

Addendum: My old 'hood is Morningside Heights; hers is East English Village, lol. I went to Stellwagen from K-1/2- of 6th grade, then went to Hamilton on the other side of Alter Rd, for the rest of 6th-8th, then went to and was graduated from Finney. I spent the first 25 years of my life in that area & its environs. Ah, the stories, LOLOLOL!

6 Likes

Yr old place on Wayburn is so cute. It’s all nice houses around there, mostly '20s.

One of the maddest parties I ever attended was on Windmill Pointe! It was thrown by a young Mr A while we were in high school, in his gigantic old stone house which was more a mansion. It was during winter break, and my pal Laura and I walked there after taking in a film at the Punch & Judy. It was so cold, but we’d eaten, um, a certain substance which can, oddly, hypersensitize and numb at the same time.

When we finally got to Windmill Pointe, I didn’t know which giant joint was his, and we walked around for ages listening for the telltale noise, but heard nothing. I decided there was nothing for it but to knock on someone’s door and inquire. It was maybe 10 PM. The sweet older gentleman in jim jams, robe, and slippers whom I disturbed accepted my polite apologies. I explained our plight, and he very kindly tsked that we’d walked so far. He said it was the “low-slung,” stone house set far back on the lake side of the street. We profusely thanked him, and wished him happy holidays.

Once we got near the house we could finally hear party noises. We opened the massive oak door, and there were kids everywhere. A friend suggested we head down to the basement, and gave us directions!

He’d hired a rock and roll band made up of our classmates, and they were great. He’d laid on two kegs, and many of our friends were there. There musta been at least 100 people there! I wound up necking with our host most of the night, which warmed me right up. :smiley: He left his own party for a far-away hockey game around 4 AM, and happily Laura and I got a ride to my house not too long after.

OK, I’ll quit derailing this poor thread! Here’s an adorable albino raccoon to re-rail it!

12 Likes

14 Likes

13 Likes

15 Likes

It’s a double unicorn!! Oh, my God—it’s a double unicorn all the way!! :wink:

(RIP, Double Rainbow Guy. We salute you.)

12 Likes

:sob:

13 Likes

13 Likes

12 Likes

The range of ‘reaction emojis’ at the other place, but I’m missing them right now. :hugs:

9 Likes

12 Likes

15 Likes