UPDATED: Attorneys General of DC, Maryland and Congressional Democrats Suing Trump Over Emoluments

According to the Washington Post, the Attorneys General of D.C. and Maryland have filed suit against Donald Trump. They claim his failure to divest himself of his business interests is a violation of the Constitution, specifically the clause concerning foreign and domestic emoluments.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/dc-and-maryland-to-sue-president-trump-alleging-breach-of-constitutional-oath/2017/06/11/0059e1f0-4f19-11e7-91eb-9611861a988f_story.html?utm_term=.d098e75c756d

UPDATE: And now nearly 200 Democrats from both houses of Congress have filed their own lawsuit accusing our dear President of violating the same emoluments clause. Happy Birthday, Mr. Trump!

9 Likes

Now, ask the GOP if they care.

The problem isn’t finding or proving violations, the problem is enforcement of the idea that the president is not above the law. So far there is no actual evidence that this is true.

10 Likes

It should be noted that these are the second and third lawsuits on this issue. The first was raised by a watchdog group and joined by restaurants and trade groups in competition with Trump’s enterprises.

@MalevolentPixy: I know, I know. But the more lawsuits that accumulate against Trump, the harder it is for his fellow Republicans to ignore them or brush them aside. It will be an uphill battle, but I’m hoping there’s still some hope.

8 Likes

And now this:

7 Likes

The more Democrats get upset at Trump, the more the Republicans love him.

That’s his primary job — freak-out the squares. He’s the right’s Ken Kesey. And if he can remove a few business regulations while restricting abortion rights, they think that’s all the better.

(Edited to clarify my meaning)

3 Likes

So we should love him and it be a’ight?

No.

Let the greedy scumbags who rule the GOP stand on their own. The only thing I like about Resident Splatterbutt is that he’s so incompetent that the GOP has no cover. They are in the front row.

7 Likes

Well now I didn’t say that.

3 Likes

What I was getting at is that what Rump-snufflers think doesn’t signify.

4 Likes