User Inconvenience / User eXaspsration Design

Major problem in playtesting.

You need to get the kinks out of the game. But sometimes, to try to get the rules ambiguities out, the balance right, and any exploits out, publishers would rely on a small group of hypercompetitive players. I think that’s how you get something which is completely opaque to new players, with unintelligible rules, obscene difficulty, and bid mechanics, like Republic of Rome. I hate bid mechanics.

3 Likes

Sites which require phone calls for everything.

Sites which require phone calls to report accessibility problems, sch as requiring phone calls for everything.

Sites which rely on phone menus which are incompatible with speaker phones, and which time out if we can’t get through.

I have an awful migraine and couldn’t get through.

P.S. Sites which rely on a pain-tone like driving a nail to indicate when people are supposed to leave voicemail. If not too stunned to do anything but scream in pain from the pain added to the pain, which may also be extra pain for the people recieving the pain-mail.

3 Likes

You must love sites with friendly online chat support personnel available 24/7 who say that they’re happy to help you - but the only thing they can actually do to try to help you is tell you the phone number that you’ll have to call during business hours.

6 Likes
which python

?

2 Likes

I don’t remember. I ended up with a mess. I think I have 3.something installed via homebrew. But wxdemo appears under Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/bin … so not homebrew, not sure what installs there.

I can now open wxdemo, but not use it.

Any idea how to find out what installed what?

P.S. Should I use these instructions to delete non-brew versions of python 3.7, install the bew version, and so on?

I do not understand this mess or how to clean it up.

P.P.S. Neither brew nor pip list wxpython. Any idea how to find out what installed it?

1 Like

I have an awful migraine. Why do I have to spend all night debugging an application I can never use?

Fuck.

I cancelled the new installation but can’t seem to uninstall without completing the damned installation.

P.S. I seem to have broken wxpython. Not that I could ever use it.

“This program needs access to the screen. Please run with a
Framework build of python, and only when you are logged in
on the main display of your Mac.”

1 Like

7 Likes

Why, dΩδ(rᴮ, of course.

8 Likes

(I was waiting for this.)

5 Likes

Anything I can do to help a fellow robot.

4 Likes

are you using greek (U+0370…U+03FF), or mathematical greek (U+1D400–U+1D7FF)?

4 Likes

It’s all Greek to me.

But to answer your question: U+03A9 and U+03B4.

4 Likes

Tried with Homebrew:

brew install wxpython installs but the resulting wxdemo does not open because “Please run with a Framework build of python”

Tried with instructions on project page: https://www.wxpython.org/pages/downloads/

pip install -U wxPython doesn’t install because “pip: command not found” because pip has been deprecated and replaced with pip3 but the documentation hasn’t been updated.

Sigh But I’m finally back where I started, where wxdemo doesn’t work because of the blinking cursor instead of the framework issue.

1 Like

I would do what I always do when I need something like that – go to libreoffice, and use the Insert Character function. Then copy and paste.

But using extended characters is going a bit too far.

5 Likes

This is true.

On the other hand, I can’t remember the last time I had a captcha which actually wanted me to type something. I must be going to the wrong web sites.

6 Likes

So here’s a thing.

Where I work we have VERY strict security. Which only makes sense, because we handle a lot of other company’s data, and it tends to be sensitive stuff.

Problem: this has led to a general culture of siloing productivity tools. Few people know how to share documents; collaboration tools are virtually banned because nearly all of them are cloud-based, and we’re not allowed to store data on other company’s computers.

I was listening to a podcast the other day, and the host explained the importance of updating your portfolio, even when you have no intention of leaving your current position.

It occurred to me we could use some more samples at work. This seemed like killing two birds with one stone.

So tonight I made up a rough plan of what to put in a public portfolio, bearing in mind I absolutely cannot use anything from work and will have to create it all at home.

Since I have two laptops and a phone, and since I’ve already sold my soul to Google anyhow, I did a draft project proposal, created a time tracker, created a virtual jam board with colour-coded post-it notes organised by task category, and checked out some add-ons (virtually none of which cut the mustard).

I also made sure I took the React course I’m taking into account, because that has to be done too.

In about two and a half hours I got more done using freebie cloud tools than I do in the same amount of time at work … and if I had the occasion to share any of these with anyone, it would be a snap to do so. And I can edit everything on any of my personal devices.

10 Likes

My company switched to one of those big enterprisey project management systems where every task has dozens of fields across multiple pages each with multiple tabs and modal popups (as well as links that lead out of the system to integrated systems). I have deadlines, I don’t have all day to spend trying to find things in that mess.

So I made myself a private Trello board, and at the start of a cycle I copy a brief description of each task and the important bits (along with a link back to it’s root on the monster system) into a trello card. Then I have one page with a good overview of everything and a quick easy way to add notes as I work. At the end of the cycle, after the deadline’s whooshed by, then I have a bit of time to go spelunking in the twisty maze of passages, all alike, trying to find things in the monster system and copy my notes back into it from Trello.

Some of my coworkers have other solutions. I’ve noticed that at my last 3 jobs. There’s always the “official enterprise systems and processes” on one layer, and then another unofficial layer of the ones that people actually use to get stuff done.

That does have very real security implications, but often the security people make it worse by doing things like blocking a website administrator from accessing the website that they’re supposed to be administering, or requiring a month’s notice to create a database for a project with a 2 week deadline. Because people have to route around barricades like that, security doesn’t even know what holes there are, so they can’t secure them.

(For the record, my company does still use Trello for other things, so it is a known factor and the things I put there are not sensitive.)

6 Likes

This is a conversation I had at my old job that was part of training I was doing on why warehousing companies needed to upgrade old scanners. It used to be the software at work was cooler than the stuff you could use at home, so that made work fun and interesting. Now, because of security issues, you can use way more fun cloud based stuff at home.

8 Likes

I’m just setting up Trello for my own company. I’d be curious to learn how you use the cards.

5 Likes

Two things that help me: “Scrum for Trello” and “Trelabels for Trello” browser extensions.

The first one gives you the ability to easily put estimated and actual times on the cards (and they show and sum up on the board) just by editing the title. So “Do the thing (16) [6]” means you spent 6 hours doing the thing you thought would take 16 hours, and it makes it nicely visible both on the cards and as sums on the column/list.

The labels extension just makes it so that you can actually see what the cards are tagged with at a glance better. It has options for how to display that (I use the Tags mode, but use whatever works for you).

For the boards, they’re more or less just one list for each step in our process, from Todo/Incoming -> Currently working on -> Testing -> Ready for someone else to look at -> Being reviewed/tested by someone else -> to Done. (I added a step that our company doesn’t officially use for the ‘handing off to someone else’ cases, while they have one for ‘on hold’ stuff that isn’t currently relevant that I don’t use, and we have a couple other review steps that aren’t relevant to me, so I don’t include them). I personally also have a “Waiting for” list for cases where I’m waiting for something from someone else before I can move forward with a thing.

I recommend making new boards each month (or whatever fits your cycle) because if you try to use just one, even if you archive all the old stuff, it’s still there in the data, which can make the pages slowww to load and give a bad UX once you have had a lot of stuff on one board, even if there isn’t much there now.

You can fetch the board data (including archived stuff) as a .json file, then parse that and do whatever you need to with it. I used that to write a script to figure out what had been done when, and that was really helpful for awhile. We don’t use it anymore, but it’s an idea of the sort of things that you can do with it. At the time it saved us a couple hours of copy/pasting about once a week. So if there’s any info that you are going to be putting into there and might want in a different format or whatever, that’s worth knowing.

ETA: I’ve also used Trello for things like writing (lists being characters, places, events, scenes, etc.) and playing Microscope. It’s pretty flexible and works however you want it to, for whatever you need it for. I’m kind of a fan. I like things that make complicated things simple.

2 Likes