User Inconvenience / User eXaspsration Design

By the way, does anyone know of tools to measure pdf loading/opening time, or file loading/opening time in general?

Going in circles trying to find something.

P.S. This turns up when looking for “memory usage for each file.” I don’t know what it is or what it does. Both the main section and the sidebar scroll, but not together, they jump up and down relative to each other.

https://coq.inria.fr/refman/practical-tools/utilities.html

2 Likes
4 Likes

Can’t hear voice over music. Or withstand zooming. It’s almost like the video suffers from sadistic sound design and then represents it with standard sadistic video design.

1 Like

I hate Python.

When someone asks me to install pip, or something using pip, I never know what is getting installed, or where, or how to reverse it without hosing my system. I can at least follow Homebrew.

Also pip always returns errors, and always complains about permissions, which suggests easy_install pip installed where it shouldn’t.

2 Likes

I hold Python as the worst programming language, followed by Brainfuck, and thirdly

https://esolangs.org/wiki/JarJarScript

3 Likes

P.S. I got a bit mixed up, but these particular installation instructions required sudo. Also, pip wasn’t working for some reason. I think I cleaned out what I did install that way. I think I am supposed to install 3 packages:

wxPython, which can be installed with homebrew or pip.

PyMuPDF, which can only be installed with pip.

wxDemo, which can only be installed from a tarball, and was dropped from the instructions; I don’t know how to install anything from a tarball.

For some reason pip requires --user at the end of a command, not the middle like most adverbs.

Apparently there are also issues where Python doesn’t work properly when installed anywhere sensible, because something about pythonpath, and the usual technique involves installation at root level in virtual machines. (???)

3 Likes

I wonder if there’s a way (besides an internet campaign, which I don’t think would work) to tell manufacturers to stop making things, especially vacuums, so damn loud.

Interestingly, I find Dysons and iRobots to be much quieter and much better at sucking up dirt. Other brands are sound and fury signifying nothing.

Edit: fixed autocorrect.

6 Likes

How about a petition?

6 Likes

Petitions are victims of their own popularity. It used to be, at least in Canada, that politicians assumed 100 more people agreed for every name on a petition. Not anymore.

I don’t see this as a civic thing anyhow. More like a marketing thing. Quieter machines does not indicate “less power” (WTF marketing), but better engineering – which maybe it’s why the Dysons figure it’s okay to be quieter.

The car thing in the video pissed me off too, first because it’s extra noise and therefore interfering with my driving music, and second, fuck “powerful sounding”. Just let me hear the damn engine so I can tell what the hell it’s doing.

6 Likes

My thing is, I barely hear the engine (except when accelerating quickly) or the airflow. The sound I hear when driving almost entirely consists of the tires against the road (to the point where I used to hit a patch of freshly-paved asphalt and wonder if my car was still running because it had gotten that quiet).

They manage to reduce tire noise (especially on concrete), and I am so in.

6 Likes

As much as I like Python the language, and how many powerful tools come with it standard, the cases of trying to deploy or distribute anything in it or trying to install anything that someone else distributed for it are all a huge mess. Aside from pip and easyinstall, which you mentioned, and pyenv, pipenv, homebrew, etc., there are at least a dozen other ‘standard’ ways to install things before you even begin considering all the non-standard stuff or having to deal with all the different versions. And then there’s deployment and distribution which are their own messes.

It’s great for dedicated scripts with minimal dependencies running on known systems, but I wouldn’t want to try to build or maintain something large or generic in it that’s supposed to be able to be installed and run on other systems.

5 Likes
4 Likes

I guess better engineering = more cost to manufacturer. I bet there are simulation programs dedicated to (or at least capable of) designing for noise abatement.

4 Likes

Quieter means higher felt quality and a higher price point. To deliver quality at a lower price breaks the oligopoly system. That is why consumer tech markets only have at most a half dozen real options for supply, worldwide, regardless of the profusion of brands.

We all know this instinctually, but revolutions in efficiency and sustainability won’t happen unless this system is broken.

5 Likes

Yes, but the video argues vacuums and cars are deliberately made louder to communicate power and value. My assertion is this is outdated/incorrect.

4 Likes

Agreed, but like the video said, some products have engineering teams working on deliberately making them louder. That has to be a cost as well.

5 Likes

py: command not found

reinstalls python

runs script that is supposed to make Python actually start working

“You’re a Python lover already.”

Hater.

P.S. apparently “py” is Windows-specific Python syntax.

3 Likes

Windows and PATH are the worst ever. Try cd or change directory to the python directory, execute python, and then try py

3 Likes

I don’t have Windows. I was asking for Mac help, and got instructions involving Windows-specific commands, none of which are working. “py” fails because it only works on Windows.

Some others fail because of permissions issues.

Some others fail because python can’t find anything because of path issues.

I think Python is in a hidden folder. I can’t cd there.

2 Likes

Yes, but the video argues vacuums and cars are deliberately made louder to communicate power and value. My assertion is this is outdated/incorrect.

You mean focus groups aren’t a good design tool. Yep!

8 Likes