User Inconvenience / User eXaspsration Design

There I was…

Minding my own business.

Strolling down the information superhighway in search of a dresser. Not any dresser mind you, but a dresser of particular dimensions. A size to fit twixt the room’s door and the closet’s door.

Advertising must work as the stupid jingle is in my head as I take the exit ramp for Wayfair.com

Bed and Bath, tap

Bedroom Furniture, tap

Dressers, tap

Hmmm…

Filter, Tap.

Dimensions, TAP

(My excitement is palatable as I expect to be able to winnow down my selection quickly)

If the intersection of my math and sports knowledge is accurate, there are dressers that are nearly a football field wide available.

Glad the shipping is free.

12 Likes

Make sure you get the football-field dresser that’s ten feet tall with eight foot deep drawers.

5 Likes

Nah. Get the one that’s 1"x0"x0".

10 Likes

Nah get the 2 inch depth and watch it fall.

4 Likes

Londondrugs.com, or at least the mobile site has an overlay with a “loading” style wheel that only shows up on the product page, has no visible way to dismiss it, and covers everything.

I couldn’t buy if I tried, because I can’t click the button.

5 Likes

I saw this link on an allergy forum, but can’t find other articles. If true, dangerous, as well as inconvenient:

2 Likes

I think the idea of labelling GMO foods is a bit ridiculous in the first place. GMO can mean something as simple as cross-pollination between two species (something we’ve been doing deliberately for decades if not centuries), or it could mean direct insertion of genetic material into a species using CRISPR, which is something new (but not proven to be dangerous).

If you create a new species (or breed, or strain, or whatever you call it) of food crop, it should be tested to ensure its safety. And if that crop causes allergic reactions or other health hazards in people who wouldn’t have had a problem with the original product, then a label should absolutely be required. If, on the other hand, you breed a rapeseed plant to be low in erucic acid, or pesticide-resistant, and it’s proven to be no more problematic than the original product, I don’t see how that’s worth labelling.

I do acknowledge, though, that this barcoding of information could easily spread beyond GMO labelling to allergy labelling, ingredients, or other nutritional information, in which case it could definitely cause health hazards.

3 Likes

The harmful implications of the legal framework of GMO properties is definitely not represented and as you’ve shown, is easily conflated with knee-jerk health concerns. Until we say that yes, gummit can take a side against rich thieving scumbags attempting to steal and lock up knowledge, dodges like this will continue being used to keep the problem out of view.

5 Likes

Oh, definitely. I am all about taking away the ability for Big Ag to copyright or patent the DNA of their GMO crops. You release seeds onto the wind, those seeds are in the public domain, and you can’t claim that they’re still yours when they land on someone else’s property.

I don’t see how labelling is going to do anything to fix the issue, or even (at least, in a space small enough to fit on a product’s packaging) to even shine more of a light on it.

5 Likes

Apparently this is a migraine app page… advertising parallax scrolling.

https://migrainebuddy.com/about

Under a Rally Index Page, any regular pPage with a background image supports parallax scrolling, a 3D effect that creates depth and immersion.

2 Likes

As horrible as the initial “hiding” of information is, the follow on continued loss of privacy is annoying.

Look…Consumer 73zza-9 (who we all know is Bob from Rhode Island) has scanned 7 types of bran flakes, 3 varieties of prunes and coconut oil.

Send him the laxative coupons stat!

4 Likes
11 Likes

the RGB lighting trend plumbs the depths of human stupidity.

8 Likes

My understanding from the video is that the drive cannot work as designed.

So doesn’t that count as a defective product?

6 Likes

Blinding and migraine-inducing zooming animation in captchas. It’s hard to avoid captchas. So I have to look away or cover my eyes to click, to avoid getting punched with the zooming pain. Again and again and again, because “try again.”

P.S. How long until captchas are so massive, so merciless, that they incapacitate any humans and only allow bots to prove they are human?

3 Likes

They’re already at that point for me. •_•

4 Likes

It mostly focuses on the inconvenince and annoyance, rather than falls, seizures, post-ictal migraines, etc.

P.S. Remember that photosensitive people aren’t allowed to drive.

5 Likes

Trying to register so I can get transportation to my doctor’s appointment:

25%20PM

Evidentally being the person trying to register isn’t good enough.

If I run into any problems with the system, I’m supposed to call a pain number. Hi, I’d like to report that youy requoire a fucking pain number to report [propblems, but you requiofe dsdo7dr

3 Likes

Hat tip to jerwin. The site is buggy, but the underlying issue is worse:

A lot of infrastructure seems to be built for standard-sized people. (Ranging from tall men in Le Corbusier’s system to extremely tall men in others.) How can we make it work for all the different-sized people?

4 Likes

Went by the DMV today.

A lot of major and minor problems:

1. The entry line was narrow, probably too narrow for most wheelchairs, and it turned around every 2 meters or so, which may be more impractical with wheelchairs and was dizzying walking to the back of the actual line.

2. There were flashing painscreens/televisions in this area, and flashing lights on vending machines in this area. At one point these were roughly opposite each other, so looking away from one made it hard to look away from the other.

3. way too noisy.

4. perfume.

5. the actual waiting area had ceiling fans under the lights, so if I looked in the wrong direction, everything flashed about 30 hits per second. I had an eye patch, but still fell down at one point, and people with greater sensitivity and/or no eye patch could easily have seizures due to this.

6. noise again.

7. impossible to make anything out, like calls for specific numbers, over the noise. No, removing my ear protection did not help.

8. hard-to-read tv screens listed the current numbers, but they had scrolling pain-text along the bottom, and they periodically flashed.

9. And the cameras kept flashing in the same room, powerful enough to hurt at the far end of the waiting room.

10. The cameras themselves had a green strobe light, and I nearly fell down.

11. And of course the flash hurt.

P.S. Does anyone know who to contact about this?

2 Likes