User Inconvenience / User eXaspsration Design

Sorry to hear that. I wish more could be done about it; the only two treatments I’ve vaguely heard (?I?) about are some sort of sound masking (which I guess would require hearing aids or ear buds or something), and some sort of zinc medication maybe? I never investigated them because I’ve gotten used to my ringing.

Interesting. I had that when I first started on an SSRI for depression. I guess the extra serotonin (which I believe happens everywhere in the body, not just the brain) made neurons fire randomly in my retinae. The effect was temporary however; only a year or two.

You know I’ve noticed that on occasion – especially right after a Windows 10 alarm clock app goes off. If my headphones are on the desk, I can hear it faintly in addition to seeing the pop-up. After I dismiss it, I can sort of still hear it, but only till my attention switches to something else.

BTW, are these posts off-topic? I’d argue it’s still User Inconvenience, but of our bio-computers. Mine is desperately in need of an upgrade.

3 Likes

A 3rd option, to reduce tinnitus, is to avoid or cut back on salicylates.

3 Likes

Alas I’m on one for Crohn’s - mesalamine - but ironically I can’t take aspirin.

2 Likes

I can attribute my ear ringing to at least two events in my past, both of which involved a combination of alcohol and loud noise. Apparently ethanol impairs our biological defenses against such damage. When I was younger I could hear the horizontal oscillators in CRT monitors.

The ringing only bothers me when I’m trying to listen to music.

Which is therefore something I don’t do as much anymore.

4 Likes

Twitching intensifies

Yeah I used to hate sitting in places near CRTs. The whine of the flyback transformer would drive me up the wall.

6 Likes

That and fluorescent lighting in some stores.

Ah, the good old days when I could hear such things.

ETA: When I was in high school, the traffic people were experimenting with (almost) ultrasonic traffic sensors for lights. Two round transducers were mounted on posts near the street, pointed at cars. I could hear the damn things, and made the mistake of looking into one. The energy output was incredibly high. Thank goodness that technology never got popular. I hope.

7 Likes

Not just the buzzing, but the flicker (at least with shitty ballasts) would really bother me as well although I’m not as sensitive to this as I used to be.

6 Likes

Blinding and migraine-inducing.

1 Like

Mac error messages and time remaining messages.

3 Likes

Inaccessible support websites.

Any websites where menus stretch off the bottom of the screen and important buttons are hidden off there. Yeah, they may work just right with your monitor, and your resolution settings, and you text settings, but if you don’t let people scroll down they won’t work with everyone’s.

3 Likes

Can we talk passwords, security codes that get texted to your phone, sent to your email, are in some random UI space in some app that you have to enter in order to get access to your bank/email/credit card company?

Can we talk about how frustrating it is to maintain it?

Can we talk about having a tool that autogenerates a password that you can’t use because you also have to login with this same password on an app that is on your phone that doesn’t have the browser tool, so the autogenerated secure password is not usable?

Can we talk about how stupid passwords are in general and how we need to just kill that shit and come up with a better system?

Can we talk about how every old person I know has this meticulous notebook with all their passwords written down in it, and they can’t figure out how to deal with it when they have to reset a password?

5 Likes

To one of your points: Keepass2 is available both as a PC app and a phone app. The database format is identical for both versions. You can put the database on a secure cloud drive, but I just copy it manually when I need to synch. The number of passwords I need to store is pretty low though.

The 2FA thing can be annoying. I wish more places would just use the Google app for that, or some centralised 2FA authenticator.

As for old people and passwords… that’s a life experience thing. If anyone who worked at Bletchley Park during WWII is still alive, I doubt they’re much bothered by passwords. Meanwhile, I know people I’m nearly old enough to be the mother of who have shockingly poor computer skills, including password maintenance.

6 Likes

I too use Keepass on both phone and PC. It solves almost all problems with passwords, except for those badly-built sites that prevent pasting or do other bizarre stuff that they think makes them safer but actually has the opposite effect.

2FA is just a PITA though. Especially stupid when you’re logging in on your phone so it’s not even a second factor, just an added hassle.

6 Likes

The passcode is the “something you know” and the phone is “something you have”. Seems legit to me.

5 Likes

Adding to @ChickieD 's list something which just happened to me:

Having a password-protected login time out when you’ve been making edits in the Web app steadily for hours. That is, the app doesn’t care that you’ve been editing – it’s gonna time out 'cos it’s time to time out.

8 Likes

“If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.” – Dennis Hall

He’s not wrong.

9 Likes

Could be. Or it could be that they’re both something you have - access to the password manager app that you copy the password from and access to the 2FA app that you copy the other passcode from. When they’re both on the same device, it doesn’t really add much except annoyance. When they’re on different devices it’s just more annoying, especially if you have to switch batteries or something and the 2FA times out.

4 Likes

Late to the party on this one but I saw that and also wanted to punch a hole in my monitor, albeit for an entirely different reason:

“JumpS”, you damned swine!

6 Likes

So I’ve downloaded the app. Now I need to create an account before I can use the app to read my books. Maybe it’s for the syncing service, but the app could explain.

“Invalid username or password.”

What?

Okay, let me check help… password field flashes

Is this saying it’s the password (without saying how to create a valid password)?

Is this saying I need to log in to get help (such as “how do I create a account, in which to log, in order to get help, in order to find out how I can create an account?”)?

Is this saying “don’t bother with this help, it doesn’t work, just create a valid password”?

4 Likes

This was fun and relevant

5 Likes