User Inconvenience / User eXaspsration Design

Seems to me between this session and the last, there are now people in Congress who actually know how to use the internet. It is making things interesting.

5 Likes

In the context, she was referring to their DB design, and while she is computer savvy, that’s typically deeper than she would go.

Had they brought her in right as they started the development, locked her boss out of the room, let the company IT into the room. It would have been a much smoother roll out.

As it is, her boss has burned over six weeks doing it herself (Someone who just doesn’t grok the whole concept of a DB) and the Vendor. She wanted to come in as the Saviour™ and It just isn’t going that way.

5 Likes

Oy. Please extend my sympathies and moral support.

4 Likes

sympathies and moral support.

Every night on the commute home. Sometimes through dinner and into the evening.

3 Likes

So the OpenOffice/NeoOffice/LibreOffice family use blinking cursors, blinking objects around text objects in Draw, and marching ants around selected cells in Calc. This is supposed to make things more visible, but of course, for me, this is painful and blinding. They lack app settings to disable this, on the grounds that system settings can do that. But OpenOffice and LibreOffice ignore the only Mac system settings that pertain to that. NeoOffice actually follows the NSText settings for text cursors, so I’ve been using that to write.

This has been driving me up the wall, and I’ve been considering dual-booting to get a system that can shut. this. crap. down.

On the bright side, I’ve found a less drastic set of workarounds. NeoOffice follows the NSText settings to stop text cursors. LibreOffice NBC is configured to stop text cursors and migraine ants. Neither addresses flashing edges around text objects in Draw… but I’ve realized there are no flashing edges around rectangles. So for new drawings, I can create a rectangle, make the fill transparent, and depending on the *Office, make the edge invisible.

2 Likes

Does anyone know how to find documentation for Ghostscript?

The site claims: " Full documentation can be found on our documentation page."

https://www.ghostscript.com/faq.html

This is not, in fact true. There is scattered documentation in “How to Use Ghostscript” and various other pages, but if you (a) are trying to find a command to perform a specific function, or (b) are trying to find the functions of a specific command, or © are trying to find how to set the “Boolean value” of a specific command, or (d) are trying to figure out how Ghostscript respondss to certain combinations, it is not to be found.

And there are vague suggestions to use or to avoid certain commands without saying why.

P.S. There is an unofficial manual for Ghostscript 5, but it doesn’t cover some features of Ghostscript 9.

2 Likes

A lot of sites require email for login, contact forms, and so on.

A few flag my email as an error and demand that I correct it. It is already correct. I can’t make it any more correct.

2 Likes

When doctor’s offices rely on phones.

I couldn’t get to the pain in time to answer it this morning, but I am in a lot of migraine pain from the painful ringing of the pain. I paincalled back later, and got an answering machine with an extra-painful tone on top of the pain from trying to make a pain call on top of the pain from getting hit by the previous call. I was in too much pain to leave my number for them to beat me back with another pain call.

Especially when doctor’s offices rely on answering machines with ear splitting “tones” and an offer to beat you some more if you just leave your name and number.

2 Likes

How does Bethesda keep finding new an innovative ways to duck up? I lost a Fallout 4 save file with 342 houra of playtine to the infamous Can’t Talk To NPCs / Unfinished Dialogue Somewhere bug where the game had decided that I couldn’t talk to anyone.

This bug did not exist in previous games.

launches Todd Howard into the sun

1 Like

Two words: Fallout 76, it’s innovative fuck ups — as a service (IFUaaS).

3 Likes
14 Likes

It’s missing the slide-up “Get our app!” on the bottom that appears on the bottom when you start to scroll and which you accidentally click as you start the second scroll and also the subscribe/sign-up pop-over that covers the middle.

7 Likes

I almost cheered out loud when I got to the part:

Every designer would love to meet the needs of every user on the planet. As much as designers strive for this, it’s impossible to achieve even if you followed every WCAG requirement. There are always some users who will find your design uneasy on their eyes.

3 Likes

Worth noting that their accessibility requirements stop short of requiring accessibility anyway.

P.S. Migraine warning for animated header at linked site.

2 Likes

And yet another header which was not animated for me at all.

1 Like

I am using Waterfox 56 with accessibility fixes. I also tried Firefox 56 with as many of the same fixes as possible. In each browser, after scrolling a certain distance a black header pops up.

I think sites and browsers should be set up so that they work with users’ settings. But with the animation issue, I feel like I’m always fighting both site and browser settings, and sometimes getting paradoxical effects like the strobing on Gizmodo.

1 Like

developers were so preoccupied with if they could [possibly possess the skill required to create an animated hellish webscape] they forgot to ask if they should.

3 Likes

His poll shows a 75 percent 25 percent split. 25 percent is quite sizable.

His respondents are self selecting. He probably hasn’t controlled for gender, age, and disability, And most of his respondents could read either one. It’s the users that can’t use one of the two schemes that he should be worrying about.

3 Likes

An interesting twist ion the survey would be to ask users which word was misspelled. If persons detected the misspelled word more frequently when it was displayed as “white on blue” (or vice versa) that could be a good way to tease out readability from a test of aesthetics.

Or a test of reading comprehension.
Of course it might be a longer test, but that’s what the Mechanical Turk is for.

2 Likes

Did you see the comment from someone from the WCAG committee? They’re not calculating for white text correctly.

That struck me because I have that exact issue at work with our corporate colour scheme.

3 Likes