User Inconvenience / User eXaspsration Design

I’m glad they’re trying to reduce noise exposure.

But for me, 65 dB is the equivalent of getting hit by a car at moderately-low speed, so 85 dB would be the equivalent of getting hit at extreme speeds, all the time, again and again. It’s horrifying to think that it is the standard permissible painhammering level.

Not much study on the topic:

2 Likes

Lo-jak was the first of many products to be actually effective at deterring professional thieves. Alarms only work at the nuisance-crime level, both as deterrence and as offender.

2 Likes

The article mainly focuses on backup beaters, on crosswalk beaters, and on proposed low-speed beaters so that electric cars are at least as painful as gasoline cars.

I live next door to a company with a lot of trucks. In the early hours of the morning, they get started loading up their trucks for the day. They also do snowplowing, so when there’s a snowstorm they start even earlier. Luckily, the noise doesn’t bother me like it does a lot of people.

The backup beepers have become my notification that it’s time to go to bed, sunrise will be soon. I now associate that sound with relaxation and the comforting feeling of the end of a long day. Kind of like an industrial lullabye. I guess it’s probably not effective in its purpose as an alarm for me.

2 Likes

The industry replacement to the cock’s crow.

2 Likes

Here’s one you don’t see too often, thank goodness.

Some wall wart or something left something behind.

Fortunately I thought, “Maybe I’d better unplug the extension cord before trying to extract that.” This was after reaching for it, and almost grabbing it. I think it was on the non-grounded side.:cloud_with_lightning::astonished:

What is with these sockets that grab and won’t let go? Not to mention cheap shit plugs. Combination is not healthy.

6 Likes

Still has the little tab at the top to prevent you from plugging in a grounded plug

2 Likes

Shut down computer, wait, unplug so I can sleep. zeouw So it didn’t shut down that time. I have to restart, and spend several hours checking on it, before I am permitted to sleep.

“But why do you have to unplug it?”

SO I CAN SLEEP! The computer has too many lights. The power strip has too many lights.

4 Likes

At what point did we drop the Menu button on Android, lmao. It was so useful

3 Likes

Have you considered musician’s earplugs? They provide up to 25dB attenuation without muffling sound. I’m going to a lot of shows this year and took the plunge to get a custom fit pair with Etymōtic filters. This kind of thing seems like it could be useful in daily scenarios as well if you need to lower the volume on the world while still needing to hear things clearly - something regular plugs definitely don’t do.

I bought some sheets of these on Amazon for my electronics. They dim the lights significantly while being visible when I need to see if something is on:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLVEQCO/

(They also make sheets you can custom cut for oddly shaped lights, as well as 100% blackouts.)

1 Like

My current mold-my-own plugs are rated 26 nrr. They don’t deliver, but they fit. Standard one-size-fits-all don’t fit my ear canals, so they hurt, and they don’t protect at all.

1 Like

Does anyone know of a browser with good find-in-page capabilities?

Firefox only allows one search term at a time.

Waterfox can run Findbar Tweak, but it’s no longer available, so that’s moot.

2 Likes

For my previous question, I’m using Regex Find-in-Page tool.

4 Likes

Dealing with a few pdfs I’ve been unable to process and compress in Ghostscript. Turns out that the images are composed of hundreds of tiled jpegs. Which is bad enough. For whatever reason, Ghostscript won’t compress to fit my page sizes in pixels. So regular images get overcompressed and these images go uncompressed.

I think can use Ghostscript to separate the pdf into separate text and image files, and probably rasterize the image file, and then cpdf to stamp each page of the text file over the correspondng page of the image file.

2 Likes

There may be an option to disable them when it’s not on in the bios, or you could flick the psu switch to off. Had similar problem. Glass case rgb motherboard.

1 Like

The worst lights are on the power supply for my hard drive, and on the power strip.

2 Likes

Is it just me or has the Twitter interface recently gotten worse?

2 Likes

twitter is doing a rolling rollout of their new, worser design

2 Likes

my computer is covered with copious amounts of electrical tape. paint might also be an option!

3 Likes