User Inconvenience / User eXaspsration Design

I’m undecided whether I’d rather lose access to old favorites, or to games that have yet to be played.

Steam’s warnings are known to be inaccurate. Baldur’s Gate, for instance, triggers the warning, but it may be playable.

3 Likes

I finally go an explanation, manually edited the config file, got a series of crashes.

2 Likes
3 Likes

The switch guards allow the astronauts to hold on to something in zero-g. In contrast, a touch screen would tend to push the operator away.

Here’s a explanation of all the switches in Apollo.

5 Likes

I have a lot of trouble with my computer screen. It’s supposed to be flicker-free and reduce eye strain. But it’s painfully bright. I ignore its automatic adjustment and keep it below 0% brightness at all times.

If I turn it down so it’s not too bright, it’s completely black. If I turn it up so it’s not completely black, e.g. brightness 0%, contrast 20%, red 5%, green 10%, blue 5%, it’s uncomfortably bright, uncomfortably faint, and too reflective at the same time. I know the standard advice is always to turn everything to maximum brightness. I know that won’t actually ignite the atmosphere fusing all elements lighter than iron, but it feels like it. It always feels like it with any glowing monitor.

I’m trying to figure out what to do here.

1st, I can wear my spare sunglasses at the computer. That makes it easier to balance these constraints, although it makes it harder to read the keyboard, books, etc.

2nd, I can get an anti-glare screen for my computer. But almost every one that’s advertised as reducing glare/reflections has reviews complaining that it increased these.

3rd, I can get an e-ink auxiliary monitor. These get very expensive. I’ve tried testing with a small e-ink tablet, and encountered a lot of flashing as I moved the mouse in standard mode, but not in another mode. It has to do with how the device handles color changes and refreshes. All the current e-ink monitors are supposed to support the appropriate “A2” mode.

4 Likes

I am thinking of a 10" e-ink tablet + screen mirroring software. Still expensive, but not as expensive as the monitors I’d been looking at.

For screen mirroring, I’m trying out Duet Display. I’ve tried free apps but encountered a lot of flicker.

For reading, that’s more challenging. I’m trying to find reading software which (a) allows me to page down through the book, instead of having to scroll, scrolling hurts and it hurts and it should be minimized because it hurts, (b) allows me to switch fonts and font sizes and line spacing in epub and mobi so I can read, (c ) allows me to set different zoom options in pdf, (d) actually follows the above options for each format, and ideally (e) include some options for page down by touch, because somehow I have a working touchscreen and even for me that’s easier than going back and forth between screen and keyboard.

There are so many epub readers which simply do not let me past the cover because they want me to scroll or something instead of paging down.

Amd when I type c I mean c I do not mean that accursed symbol.

2 Likes

Apple has finally done it. I have totally abandoned their Podcasts app. I’ve complained about it before. It started out simple and no-frills. As tome has gone on they keep burying the useful parts deeper and deeper into the interface. Version 14 is the last straw. Not only did it delete all the podcasts I was following, but now it seems totally unusable. Apple seems to want podcasts to be the new social media. It functions like Instagram, but even worse.

So now I am listening to programs directly from the radio stations’ websites.

7 Likes

Are we seeing the evolution of Zawinski’s Law to be social media instead of email?

7 Likes

I’m nearly a vassal in the apple fiefdom, but podcasts are the main reason I have an android phone. I wish I had more than just sympathy, but your post makes me feel vindicated in my android use. It’s ironic, since I started listening to podcasts specifically because I was given an ipod, and I’ve been into them ever since.

6 Likes

I’ve been running Thunderbird on my e-ink tablet.

It has a smaller screen, so either I can read the folder list or the messages at a given time.

But Thunderbird does not include keyboard shortcuts to open and close these. Maybe if I could open each folder in its own tab…

2 Likes

double facepalm

It hurts. It triggers my migraines.

Firefox introduced a new print dialogue. With animation! Somehow it got past a11y review, possibly because of accessibility problems with their testing system. Now they plan to remove the setting to avoid it and use system dialogues.

2 Likes

Some flashing and parallax:

All the local … things are built like this.

4 Likes

That’s really good and puts into words something I’ve been thinking since I was old enough to walk to the store.

It’s really ridiculous that most of our infrastructure wasn’t designed by or for humans. It was designed by car manufacturers for cars. To exclude humans as much as possible.

And to make matters worse - despite how bad it is for walking, it’s no better for driving. It literally takes me about as long to drive to the store and back as it does to walk there and back. And it’s kind of a tossup as to which is safer.

Crossing the stroad is like playing Russian roulette. Whether you’re in a car or not.

And this is in a relatively safe and walkable place compared to where I’ve lived before.

5 Likes

Clearly they need to add more lanes. That will solve everything.

4 Likes

Whenever I’m exploring a section of stroad on foot, a GPS is great for determining whether the pavement actually leads to my destination, or it’s a cunningly placed trap for unwary pedestrians.

The worst is when construction crews close off a sidewalk. Sorry, you’ll have to backtrack three quarters of mile, and cross there.

5 Likes

Not much help when I already know the way, I just need to cross the accursed stroads… Or walk along one when lights are flashing ahead…

3 Likes

Mozilla has a new explanation of their redesign: (migraine warning)

I can’t page down without the page flashing, I can’t find any text explanation, and I can’t watch the video without blinding pain and a migraine.

2 Likes

New and “improved.”

3 Likes

Looks like a newer, flatter, more minimalistic design. In other words, welcome to 5 years ago.

5 Likes

Gotta keep down with the Jones’s I guess.

5 Likes