Valve is not your friend, and Steam is not healthy for gaming

It’s worth mentioning that the Humble Store sells most of the same things as Steam, supports charity, and usually includes a Steam code with your purchase. In most cases, the price is as good or better than Steam, and if you are a Humble Monthly subscriber, you get an extra 10% off. I don’t know if Valve profits off of this in any way, but it seems like a win-win to me.

9 Likes

Well that’s just word of mouth advertising. It’s not like Steam users are designing their own marketing materials and running their own advertising campaigns.

5 Likes

I have 5 indie bundles worth of games in my inventory. Most of those will probably never get played but there were two or three titles in each bundle I wanted to try.

ETA I have Revolution 60 on my wishlist as a reminder to get it once I get employed again… just cause of who made it and who will be angry at my purchasing/supporting of it. I don’t care if it sucks.

5 Likes

Weirdly, that one isn’t available at the Humble Store. Also, oh boy those reviews… There aren’t many of them, but the number of people leaving feedback on the reviews seems out of proportion.

5 Likes

But don’t forget - it’s Valve’s fault! :smile:

5 Likes

meh. no. it’s my fault. and there are a few games i bought from valve on sale that well glad i did. they looked interesting but once i started playing them… not so much.

4 Likes

My bulk of logged game time has been spent on the following: Fallout: New Vegas, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, and Fistful of Frags. F:NV goes on sale five times a year at a hefty discount (though I recommend picking up F3:GOTY to make Tale of Two Wastelands), GTA:SA has so many good mods to bring it up to 2013 standards, and Fistful of Frags is free.

360 games in my library and I play just three.

4 Likes

I have sooo much ‘playtime’ on ClickerHeroes. I make no excuses for it but the pure distillation of clickkill RPG amuses the heck out me. 2nd on the list is TF2 which I should play more often.

Whatever bugaboo with the nvidia driver that was making Borderlands The Pre-Sequel bog down on me appears to be fixed so my play time with that should go up. I so love that game world. Also so many things they did with the player characters and NPCs like all kinds of body types, being gay, etc. which is just really awesome icing on the cake of the sci-fi/weird west mash up that is totally my thing.

4 Likes

Just saw this article. Seemed relevent.
https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017/05/does-valve-really-own-dota/?amp=1

2 Likes

If you like the Borderlands games, and haven’t already, check out Tales from the Borderlands. If you’re familiar with Telltale Games, it absolutely one of those, but it’s also well written and genuinely funny.

4 Likes

I have a copy and am just past 3/5ths through… I am so easily distracted. I love that they got Patrick Warburton to voice one of the bad guys.

3 Likes

If you really want to feel bad about it, try using one of the sites that calculates the cost of the games in your library. (https://steamdb.info/calculator as an example).

On the bright side, that calculator says I’ve only spent about $8 per hour of game time. So, not too horrible… but, still, roughly half the games in my library are unplayed.

4 Likes

At one point I spent over 1200 USD on games in a single year. OK, some of that was donations to the 0 AD project. But that’s still a lot of money on games I never play. (Don’t get me started on my physical game collection, which sits in four drawers of a converted dresser)

Still cheaper than weed.

5 Likes

If I ever saw my total $'s spent on weed I would need to sit down and smoke a joint. Somethings are best not known.
That’s not counting all the accessories and replaced broken glass.

On the plus side games and weed pair well.

4 Likes

Shit, it gets much easier when you use “one pint” as a comparative measure of total cost vs time enjoyed.

In the UK, a pint is about £3.50 ($5 USD). In Singapore, a pint costs S$15 ($10 USD). Every time I look at a potential game purchase, I think “will this give me more enjoyment than the equivalent cost of booze in a pub?”

In Singapore, that actually means “does it have a pretty opening intro?”…

7 Likes

I use the Ice Cream Bucket metric. An Ice Cream bucket costs 7.99 CAD, and makes six servings (I have large bowls). A game has to provide at least 6 hours of fun for every 8 dollars in price or I won’t purchase it. This has led to excessive bundle purchases…

I still have a bunch of Terraria in my steam inventory.

5 Likes

According to my profile under the Steam Calculator, I have 140 games with 30 of them having more than 12 hours of play time. I’m actually OK with this as I usually only buy during sales, so my “price per hour” isn’t bad. I can also say that I’ve had games sit there unplayed for months (or longer!) before I got around to trying them. One of those is my top played game, with over 300 hours!

4 Likes

https://steamdb.info/calculator/76561198103076183/

Bow in shame before my backlog.

Er, I mean… Age of Empires 1 demo multiplayer, anybody?

4 Likes

Ok, but let’s just say you’ve got some catching up to do in the spending department. *sigh*

:smiley:

2 Likes

For all wondering how to play their Steam collection offline, I use this:

It’s pretty damn handy for playing your legit stuff in an offline environment and the only way to play Fistful of Frags in an offline LAN party. Bonus: it’s the only way to run Civ 3 (Steam Version) without it eating the CPU. :shrug:

1 Like