Voter Suppression Alert 🚨

Recheck your registration, people.

9 Likes

I’m happy to live in a state where you don’t have to pre-register. I think that nonsense should be outlawed.

5 Likes

GEORGIA!

6 Likes

Why the fuck is there not a mechanism to force recusal.

If you’re in Georgia, get out there and knock doors. Abrams is pretty cool. Her sister is a pretty high-power attorney, I hope they’re getting the fight ready.

10 Likes
9 Likes
7 Likes

… and reposted to Tumblr. Wish I could do more to get the word out.

3 Likes
9 Likes

Michigan voters can verify their registration here:

https://vote.michigan.gov/mvic/

8 Likes

JFC, this is like Turkey or Russia or something.

5 Likes

Nope…

childish-gambino-this-is-america

10 Likes

I just mean screwing with elections. What’s the video from?

5 Likes

Donald Glover’s Childish Gambino’s This is America.

8 Likes

Of course, the people impacted by this are probably also in the group least likely to get the updated information. And that’s before accounting for the possibility of misinformed poll workers…

11 Likes

And actively malicious poll workers.

10 Likes

And they shouldn’t have to know.

Fuck, we have municipal elections on the 20th, my voter package has yet to arrive, and I don’t care, because my driver’s license and internet bill will be enough when I waltz in to the polls, and if I didn’t have that, (perhaps because I didn’t have utilities in my name, or even an address), but if I could get three known citizens to vouch for me, I could vote. (Some people up here want to get rid of the vouching system, but it’s used in such fringe cases by some of the most vulnerable, and doing so would turn us into North Dakota, so I say fuck it, let them vote).

It really is as simple as “grab your ID and some official looking mail” as Rick Mercer put it. I misplaced my voter card last provincial election (somewhere in the apartment), and that’s exactly what I did. It might take longer than a minute if you have a common name (which Jane Smith?) or aren’t on the list, but not much more.

That’s how simple voting can be. We use paper ballots, too. And an independent body to draw electoral boundaries, so it cuts down on the gerrymandering.

There’s still dirty tricks (the Federal Conservatives got nailed in a robocall scandal that sent people to the wrong polling place), but it’s harder. Oh, and that same independent body runs the election, so there’s none of this Kempian bullshit like in Georgia. That’s just fucking egregious.

9 Likes

We’ve only very recently got actual democratic processes, which are being stripped away as we speak. This IS the American way.

5 Likes
10 Likes

TLDR: the Dems need to beat the GOP by 12 points nationally just to scrape a bare majority in Congress.

9 Likes

That’s depressing.

5 Likes