Wanderthread Redux (Part 1)

This dunks on Biden pretty hard.

1 Like
1 Like
3 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

Yup. Taken on face value, Warren’s proposal is fairly mild and inoffensive. However…

Basic Wandertake:

1. Regulations prohibiting direct electoral misinformation (e.g. “the election is actually not until [false post-election date]” or “the polling booth has been moved to [false location]”) already exist in many countries. In a normal country, with relatively trustworthy government, this is a sensible thing.

2. The USA is not a normal country with relatively trustworthy government. The Trumpists will abuse every power they have, and the Democrats will abuse every power that they think they can get away with.

3. Warren is not a politician that I would trust with this power. This is a person who refers to Juan Guaidó as the “President” of Venezuela.

4. The last several years have seen a concerted effort from establishment Dems to delegitimise and deplatform any political perspectives to the left of the establishment norm.

5. The category of “electoral misinformation” is used very loosely in American discourse. A large proportion of Centrist Dems are in the habit of characterising anything to their left (notably including BLM, DAP protesters, the Greens, the antiwar movement and the Sanders campaign in general) as foreign subversion.

67C26CA1-CFC3-41F4-BF47-03BE5F050044

And because I’m forced to repeat this point every fucking time:

“Both are bad” ≠ “both are identical”.

“One is worse than the other” ≠ “choosing the lesser evil is adequate to the requirements of justice and survival”.

Both parties are catastrophically evil. Both must be defeated. Prioritising the greater evil only works if you then move on to defeating the lesser evil.

2 Likes
1 Like

Cued to relevant bit.

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like
4 Likes

(note: I disagree with almost everything Michelle Obama says in that clip; posted for historical contrast)

3 Likes
2 Likes