Wanderthread Redux (Part 1)

7 Likes
3 Likes
6 Likes

Thread:

3 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

As with everything else: the impunity extended to American war criminals under Trump is not new. It’s just more obvious now.

7 Likes

I guess for “polite” society (barf) there is enough of a difference between literal blood on the hands and figurative blood on the hands. Errr something.

When it comes to Kissinger, I’m with Anthony Bourdain.

“Once you’ve been to Cambodia, you’ll never stop wanting to beat Henry Kissinger to death with your bare hands. You will never again be able to open a newspaper and read about that treacherous, prevaricating, murderous scumbag sitting down for a nice chat with Charlie Rose or attending some black-tie affair for a new glossy magazine without choking. Witness what Henry did in Cambodia – the fruits of his genius for statesmanship – and you will never understand why he’s not sitting in the dock at The Hague next to Milošević.”

7 Likes

Because the United States don’t recognize jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court, and are willing to go to war if any Americans are brought to trial there.

5 Likes

Yup.

However: even at the literal bloody hands level, impunity (or, at most, a slap on the wrist for a chosen scapegoat) is nothing new.

My Lai, No Gun Ri, Haditha.

3 Likes
5 Likes

5 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes
7 Likes

Thread, spoilered for gruesome imagery. Knife attack on anti-fascist.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Why are American newspapers so averse to the mainly-AmE distinction between “have got” and “have gotten”?

1 Like