Three million Puerto Ricans.

Eleven million undocumented Americans.

Twenty-five million North Koreans.

Fifty-one million South Koreans.

Eighty-one million Iranians.

If not now, when?

1 Like
5 Likes

I would normally quash this sort of post as being counterproductive, but fuck it; this is my moping thread.

After Heather, and Scout, and all of the countless others…I am going to be very annoyed if y’all let Chelsea get killed.

She is why America is worth saving, and she is baring her throat to the knife.

1 Like
1 Like

Sadly, this is indeed occurring (as well as people not understanding that when I say Moore makes Sessions look reasonable and nice, I am not defending or rehabbing Sessions. The man is a vicious nasty, racist, Islamaphobic, homophobic, sexist elf. And Roy Moore somehow found ways to be worse).

2 Likes

Useful collection of links in this article:

And a related comment thread:

1 Like

Couldn’t read the first part, pissed off by the slurs in the second part of that article.

I can’t regard Trump-Russia as a distraction. Of course everything going wrong in America can be considered a distraction from something else going wrong in America.

But Trump-Russia exposes the electoral system like a patient’s death or disfigurement or permanent neurological damage exposes bad medicine.

I don’t think fixing the electoral system would fix all the other problems; often the state is one of the problems; but first-past-the-post, the electoral college, the Republican-controlled supreme court or prince-electoral college, unequal apportionment in the senate, gerrymandering in the house, Diebold, etc. make it harder to fix other problems.

3 Likes

The Russians did intervene on Trump’s behalf, but their influence was marginal. The key reasons underlying the rise of American fascism are American, not Russian.

The Trumpists (which includes the Russians; they are not separate) are deliberately hyping the Russia story, because they know that maintaining the fantasy of impeachment muffles the chance of effective resistance.

The right-wing Democrats are also hyping the Russia story, as it diverts attention from their responsibility for American fascism. The left, especially the Black left, see what they’re doing and are pretty pissed about it.

For example:

https://twitter.com/joeprince___/status/913239434501525504

1 Like

BTW: when I link to something, that does not necessarily imply that I agree with what the link says. And, even when I do, it doesn’t mean that the author has phrased it in the same way I would have if I’d written it myself.

Especially with the Twitter stuff, I link things to demonstrate what the current mood of the zeitgeist appears to be.

1 Like

Among other things, this graphic illustrates that the U.S. is really at least five different countries, held together by force.

New descriptions of the Russian-bought ads shared with CNN suggest that the apparent goal of the Russian buyers was to amplify political discord and fuel an atmosphere of incivility and chaos, though not necessarily to promote one candidate or cause over another.

Oh but you wouldn’t share those descriptions with your readers?

the daily beast is slightly more helpful

The Facebook group United Muslims of America was neither united, Muslim, nor American.
Instead, sources familiar with the group tell The Daily Beast, it was an imposter account on the world’s largest social network that’s been traced back to the Russian government. Using the account as a front to reach American Muslims and their allies, the Russians pushed memes that claimed Hillary Clinton admitted the U.S. “created, funded and armed” al-Qaeda and the so-called Islamic State; claimed that John McCain was ISIS’ true founder; whitewashed blood-drenched dictator Moammar Gadhafi and praised him for not having a “Rothschild-owned central bank”; and falsely alleged Osama bin Laden was a “CIA agent.”

I didn’t know that stirring the shit was illegal.

It’s mostly a population density map, though.

Where there are people, there is the DSA.

There’s also a good chance that many of the more obnoxious “Bernie Bros” encountered by the Clinton faction were somewhat Russian in character. Bot networks are cheaper than ads.

OTOH, the USA/CIA has been pulling the same shit with every democracy on the planet for seventy years.

Thread:

Thread:

https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/913103438715777024

Long, but some good interviews with Kwame Ture.

@MarjaE, there are some video wobbles and things in this that would probably bother you.

1 Like