Wanderthread

Kinda my point, though: Putin and the Trumpists are the same side.

The contest isn’t USA vs Russia (or USA vs USSR, as many of the sillier centrists seem to think). It’s global fascism vs everybody.

4 Likes

Thread on media shittyness:

2 Likes

Anyone know anything about Mexican politics?

2 Likes

I think the thread starts capping the page too low, because this is the first problem:

This is just gussied up tabloid drama disguised as objective journalism.

1 Like

screenshots are overused. they say to any reader-- don’t bother to follow the links, don’t bother to double check that I haven’t forged things; and don’t go looking for context.

3 Likes

And they aren’t usually accessible to users using screen readers.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with that in general. In this context, though…

I don’t particularly care about the underlying media in this case. I wasn’t posting that to debunk that particular NYT article; I was posting it because I liked the detailed demonstration of how to deconstruct faux-objective reporting.

It’s a variant on one of my standard rants about the media. Journalists are not supposed to be “neutral”; they are supposed to be fierce partisans for the truth.

5 Likes
4 Likes

High-profile Berniecrats (Zogby, Konst etc) are all issuing calls for people not to give up on the Dems.

The comments are almost universally opposed. Lucy pulled the football out one too many times.

4 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

Thread:

3 Likes

Thread:

Since '92 or '94, the Democrats have been the conservative party.

Their refusal to challenge existing power structures made a mess of health-care reform which let the states hold poor people hostage, prevented police/prison reform, led to retaliation against whistleblowers, and hasn’t addressed imperialism. And, yes, probably contributed to the rise of Trumpism.

But with Trump in power, it’s tempting for the Democratic establishment to remain the conservative party, and hope enough conservative Republicans defect to stop the reactionaries, “conservatives,” Nazis, and Roy Moore. If they want to make that work, some might be willing to join a temporary coalition, like the “National Union Party” which stopped the (Copperhead) Democratic Party… but that put Andrew Johnson in the vice-presidency, allowing Confederate assassins to put Johnson in the presidency.

3 Likes
3 Likes

https://twitter.com/cora_made_of/status/922969406644166656

2 Likes

I am a moderate. A moderate or a centrist should have a center that they stick to and not simply allow a continual slide into extremism. Anyone using their position as “the middle” no matter what just means they are decidedly working for the extremist side of the conversation, and it lacks any integrity or honesty.

If anything someone who is truly moderate should be swinging harder the opposite direction as a clumsy method to counter what has shifted politics to an extreme, not being gleefully dragged along in the name of balance. It’s the same reason “objective reporting” isn’t being objective at all.

3 Likes

Thread (including replies):

1 Like