Watching "classic" movies with 13-yr-old - recommendations, welcome, please

My husband and daughter are actually reading the book together now! He hasn’t read it in many, many years, and his comment to me about it: “It’s a great book, but the thing I love about the movie is that it’s a love story and the book is not in the same way.” I’m not a huge Capote fan so I declined to join them. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

She absolutely is! What a fantastic suggestion. I remember the first time I saw this movie – I think I must have been in college and watched it on a black and white TV in a crappy, crappy studio apartment.

2 Likes

YES, yes, yes. I’m overwhelmed and out of practice with BBS, so forgive me for multiple responses. Thank you all for these! I’m frantically scribbling them down.

4 Likes

Glad to see you back in the fray!

4 Likes

And might as well mention/recommend Some Like It Hot, which is possibly even more potentially appealing to the younger set.

4 Likes

It’s very good. Honest. It is a love story, just not a typical one.

A few of the great classics everyone should see:

And a couple that are on my list but I haven’t watched since at least I was a kid:

I know my daughter might not like some of those, but overall they’re each pretty powerful, and generally good enough to hold someone’s interest, even a 13 year old. At least a couple of them will come up again in their life, since they are frequently referenced, so it’ll be good that they get those references.

Eraserhead and Brazil are both pretty intense if you need one to get them interested again.

Easy Rider (1969) is another great classic, but I would not recommend it in this case. I watched it for the first time as a teen and that ending really hit hard. If you are looking for impactful endings to discuss, that one should do it. But you might want to watch it yourself first.

Well, there’s Carrie Fisher :thinking:

3 Likes

Any definition of “classic” that would exclude Time Bandits is just wrong

3 Likes

We haven’t watched many of the classic or older movies here, but my kids loved the Mel Gibson Hamlet. We’ve actually watched it more than once, which is unusual for us.

1 Like

Oh yeah! It’s so good!

1 Like

And there’s Mystery Science Theater 3000, of course. I recommend anything prior to the Mother Forrester appearance.

2 Likes

Oh, maybe not anything for their first. I had a film professor who for some reason decided to show MST3K, “Manos - The Hand of Fate.” That one’s not for beginners.

3 Likes

Then one starts with the first episode and goes from there.

2 Likes

The first (or second, if you count the pre-Comedy Central era) season was a little rough. I would start later. Perhaps Santa Claus Conquers the Martians?

4 Likes

I disagree. The late KTMA episodes are better than the first season in cable. “Superdome” or “SST: Death Flight” are among their best.

3 Likes

I’ve only seen one of the Gamera from that era and recall it not being one of their best. Other than that, I have no direct knowledge.

2 Likes

Get on that!

3 Likes

Yes!

Addendum: This a Mike episode, but it’s still pre-Mother Forrester.

1 Like