Well this is interesting

8 Likes

Which got me thinking. If you wanted to create something pople could see in thousands of years, you couldn’t pick a better place than deep in a dry cave.

2 Likes
4 Likes

They still play it as a zero sum game, however: one group eliminating all others.

What happens if all the other generally trustworthy groups got together against the “always cheats” and even the “randoms” if necessary, and agreed to work together to the benefit of all? You don’t even have to eliminate them… Just when someone proves themselves unworthy of trust, refuse to play at all. The cooperative types (which is pretty much everyone, as long as everyone cooperates) can make the dough while the cheaters can all cheat each other and keep losing.

Hmmm…

6 Likes

This thread:

And this one:

9 Likes

I fell into a link rabbit hole with these (and thank you for that), and found this article. I’m going to cross-post to @ChickieD 's thread on weight loss.

https://www.aier.org/article/why-ketchup-mexico-tastes-so-good

4 Likes

The slow creep of corn is pushing into Mexico, though. There’s a ton of plastic-bottle Coke (corn) sold vs glass-bottle Coke (sugar) now. Condiments, candy, and flavored dairy products are following suit.

7 Likes

The whole corn syrup is the problem and not real sugar is sugar industry propaganda so you feel okay to eat sugar as long as it’s not HFC. It’s all sugar.

5 Likes

From a nutritional standpoint, yes – assuming that we’re just talking about corn syrup. And assuming sweetener levels are the same.

Except they’re not. Not only is the corn itself sweeter, but for the stuff they put it in, they’re putting in more, and in different things. Recall that “low-fat” often means “high-sugar”.

I don’t eat a lot of processed foods anymore because of allergies. When I do have some, it’s the sugar I notice, even in the supposedly savoury stuff.

6 Likes

I’m sure if you googled you would find just as many to support what you wrote - sigh.

5 Likes

It does seem like one of those “difference without a distinction” things.

4 Likes

It’s high-fructose corn syrup, so it’s not the same.

Something like 30% of the population has limited fructose absorption, and excess fructose interferes with tryptophan absorption, and other nutrients, which is why eating fruit can lead to bloating, diarrhea, migraines, etc.

8 Likes

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-018-0728-7

I can only read the abstract, but wow…

6 Likes

Social problem: Converting vegemite into moonshine

https://www.drugfoundation.org.nz/matters-of-substance/november-2015/mythbusters-yeast-spreads-for-brewing-alcohol/

4 Likes

So the whole debacle could have been prevented by: a) an MP double-checking the veracity of the statement before making political hay with it and b) journalists delving into the story (“how does one use Vegemite to make hooch? Oh, in practical terms you can’t? Sounds like an angle to me.”) instead of just parroting the MP.

We hear a lot about deadline pressures in a 24 hour news cycle, but this one would have taken just a few phone calls.

7 Likes

Isn’t that just the grudge-holder? Cooperate until someone else defects, and then defect against that person from that point on.

3 Likes

I’m wondering if we’ll see Jurassic Park late edits the same way George Lucas altered Star Wars.

3 Likes

But the grudge holder is still playing.

I am saying walk away from the game entirely.

1 Like

I don’t see the distinction between always-defecting and not-playing. If you can’t control the existence of a game, all you can control is whether you contribute or not. Whether you walk away or decide to always defect, the end result is the player stops contributing.

IMO, what’s missing in the model is the ability to determine and communicate what kind of player someone is, so that the “Always cheats” automatically start on the back foot in their next interaction.

3 Likes
9 Likes