Well this is interesting

Simple idea post a wikipedia article about a subject that people may not be aware of. Pass on that one in 10000 moment.

15 Likes

Kicking it off this womens work related the conservation laws in nature to fundamental simetries

15 Likes

I hadn’t realised this

However, Charteris was excluded from permanent residency in the United States because of the Chinese Exclusion Act, a law which prohibited immigration for persons of “50% or greater” Oriental blood. As a result, Charteris was forced to continually renew his six-month temporary visitor’s visa. Eventually, an act of Congress personally granted him and his daughter the right of permanent residence in the United States

20 Likes

I learned about this as the Brazil Nut Effect.

16 Likes

This place, IMO, has been overlooked by jazz historians. King Curtis, Ornette Coleman, Dewey Redman, Charles Moffett, Prince Lasha, Ronald Shannon Jackson, Cornell Dupree and Julius Hemphill all hailed from Fort Worth, all attended this school, and all had the same music teacher.

Disclosure: I created the article.

15 Likes

I like the Powertools. I’m not usually into free or modern-sounding stuff, but that album is pretty great. He’s the only name I know, though; except Ornette, of course, though mainly by reputation. Good on you for making the page.

The Texas public schools music program had another famous band teacher and band(s), the Kashmere Stage Band has been championed for years by funk crate diggers of some renown until the inevitable re-release on Stones Throw records

7 Likes

Obligatory:

12 Likes

Paging @Lucy_Gothro!!! Attn!!! This subject exists. Your services are required!

9 Likes

Ok I see yellowstone and give you

10 Likes

Hah? Whaddya want?

3 Likes

I thought random Wikipedia browsing was your jam.

5 Likes
8 Likes

I remember hearing about something like that (nuclear-powered aircraft propulsion) but it was located at Idaho National Lab. I was told they scrapped it because there wasn’t enough known uranium in the world to power the thing.

8 Likes

Obligatory photo for this thread:

16 Likes

“Weird, wild stuff.”

10 Likes

Oh sometimes, I go in spurts.

8 Likes

I didn’t know that Tony Randal was Jewish…I was looking up Jack Klugman 'cos TCM had a promo for “I Could Go On Singing” (1963), starring Judy Garland and Mr. Klugman…and well, then was curious about Mr. Randall, and well, you know…
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Randall

13 Likes
8 Likes

Not only that, from 1790 to 1952, people who entered the U.S. and applied for citizenship had to prove they were “white.”

14 Likes

Galactic Greenwich (AKA Sagittarius A) was discovered by a couple of hackers with a shovel, working in their spare time:

http://www.atnf.csiro.au/outreach/about/history/doverheights/index.html#DoverHITG

11 Likes