Well this is interesting

Welcome. We’re a little weird, here, but you get used to it.

Wait until you see the grey ones.

14 Likes

I have met Traveler in person. A very nice man.

13 Likes

17 Likes

Thank you! I just took that picture for my user profile. I’m a huge ST geek.

13 Likes

welcome_aboard

14 Likes

Well, do we have the thread for you:

12 Likes

I’ve already found it! :grin:

11 Likes

I love this kind of thing.

It reminds me of the Palladion, a naturally-occurring statue that was spirited away from Troy to Athens. Or the Ancile, which was dropped from heaven upon Rome.

5 Likes

More info:

I’m impressed: it’s a lot safer for a child to ride like this, both in general and from a sexual abuse standpoint (ask the women in your life what it’s really like to body surf). It’s also going to be easier for the crowd to do their part, since they’re not trying to hold up body parts.

8 Likes

This covers a lot of ground, from Frederick Law Olmsted to current politics. A good read. NYTimes, so best to open in a private/incognito window (which doesn’t always work anymore, I’ve noticed).

5 Likes

Neat article, but it sounds like the author didn’t have much luck.

Are there any alt-right people trying to understand libtards, I wonder?

7 Likes

It’s mostly about the brahs trying to get us to understand that being a greedy bigot is a lifestyle choice like any other, an identity the sjws are oppressing. “Dude,” I sez, “You’re Korean.”

Yeah, but he also wants to be fucking rich. But he’s not rich. But it’s his identity, and around and around we go.

8 Likes

For me, I was particularly interested in the Frederick Law Olmsted aspect, especially the idea that beautiful public spaces open to all was considered one of the jewels in the crown of the North, right at the start of the Civil War.

8 Likes

Fun fact: during the boom period of Japanese post-war economic growth, the term “Three Treasures” was used to refer to the holy trinity of owning a washing machine, a fridge and a TV.

A lot of Japanese people kind of believe in the things that western articles about Japan say they do, but they tend to have a much more self-aware sense of humour about them than they are given credit for.

11 Likes

ETA:

“Postage was cheaper than a train ticket”

9 Likes

Most people have more than the average number of arms.

I’m seeing a lot of really interesting stuff here:https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/bekeb1/what_mindblowing_but_simple_facts_would_satisfy_a/

. . . . four year old.

10 Likes

Unless there are a non-zero number of three-armed or more-armed people, this is always true? Or is that the joke. I don’t really do reddit.

6 Likes

I guess since some people have less than the standard two, and few or no people have three or more, the average is slightly less than two. Most people have the standard complement of two, thus more than the average.

That’s not taking firearms into account.:frowning:

12 Likes

There is a non zero number of people who have more than two arms. Regardless, there are way more people who have one arm or zero arms. This brings the average down to somewhat less than two arms per person. Because most people have two arms, this is more than whatever the average is.

It’s a demonstration of the difference between mean and mode.

13 Likes

13 Likes