Well this is interesting

My dad made damn sure we knew who was on the land before the white people got to it.

I remember him speaking with actual wonder in his voice about how there were still lands the white man had not seen nor walked upon; this would’ve been in the 1970s sometime, and he was correct - then.

My dad carried mail where this is located. We lived 3.3 miles (according to Google Maps) from there.

3 Likes

Yes, and yes!

4 Likes

my local community radio station tells me Atlanta is on Muskogee Creek land but I haven’t investigated any further than that. it’s nice to be reminded of, though.

2 Likes

Was this site down for a day, or was that just me?

2 Likes

no, me too.
i figured it was either on my end or @LockeCJ would fix it promptly and hey whaddya know

2 Likes

Sorry about that.

3 Likes

no harm done, thanks for admining the site

4 Likes

No worries!

5 Likes

The park behind my first apartment here in Chattanooga has paths marking the Trail of Tears. There’s also a beautiful installation by the Cherokee Nation at the Aquarium here. It’s nice to have that connection at least to the past, but there is no Cherokee presence here that I’m aware of in the modern day. I think the whole tribe was moved to Oklahoma and Missouri. Supposedly we have some ancestry but a whole bunch of people have tried to chase down the threads and we have never found any real concrete proof other than one letter bribed a Cherokee into writing for him - but it does have an official seal on it.

6 Likes
2 Likes

So far as I know, some of them hid out in the mountains and still remain in the Smokies, mostly in North Carolina having joined the Eastern Band. That area’s about a few hours drive away from your area, and there is some cultural stuff, but mostly it’s very touristy.

5 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

Didn’t fanfic bring us the “Twilight” saga? Eeuw.

1 Like

50 shades of grey began as twilight fan fiction.

3 Likes

I’ve been a reader of fanfic for years now, and while some of it is, shall we say, less than fully polished, there are some absolute gems out there. Fanfic can be a way for those enchanted by a franchise (for lack of a better term) to play in its sandbox, adding their own interpretation to canon events, exploring unseen implications, creating closure to narratives abruptly truncated by cancellation… or, in some cases, fixing plots-gone-wrong in the parent work ( cough cough Lucifer season 6 cough cough.) Some professional, published authors have participated in fanfic-- it’s definitely not all trash.

That having been said… I’m not entirely sure it’s wise to “merge the streams” of fanfic and canon. One of the big reasons fandom-friendly writers have deliberately turned a blind eye to fanwork is so they can’t get sued for “stealing” another person’s idea, even inadvertently. And even if a creator’s okay with fanfic, any corporation they partner with (for television, movies, etc.) might not be, and might not hesitate to take legal action to protect their “intellectual property.” So yes, it’s risky for creators to acknowledge fanfic publically; it might be best to maintain a healthy distance between the two worlds.

5 Likes

The inconsequential, yet interesting stories behind making this one minute of film are fascinating.

7 Likes

Geez, what if MTG sees this?

5 Likes