Well this is interesting

5 Likes

So cool! Very interesting video.
Back in around 1970 I saw one of these at our campus radio station. I can picture it only vaguely, but it looked homemade* – a maybe 4’ x 8’ sheet of metal with more than 2 transducers clamped onto the edges. There may have been some on the faces too. It was horizontal but I don’t recall how it was suspended. I never heard it being used though.

*Well it was an engineering school . . .

3 Likes
2 Likes

Growing up, going to school, I’d heard of ATP, ADP, phosphorus in DNA and RNA, but I don’t recall any of our science teachers mentioning this angle of it. Nor do I remember it being mentioned in the countless sci-fi stories I read (although I might’ve just missed it).

4 Likes

A beautiful old building with an interesting history. The cinematography is spectacular. And you can take a drink every time someone says “World Heritage Site.”

2 Likes

Yes, I am intentionally putting this under “Interesting” rather than “Silly Grins.”

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

Here’s a way to waste a few hours:

3 Likes

I just heard an episode of The Saint radio program from November 5, 1950. Vincent Price is excellent as the title character, but that is beside the point.

The interesting thing is that it contained a humorous reference to Dianetics: An over-serious college girl who had been in psychoanalysis since her childhood says that lately she had decided to take up Dianetics instead. It had only been introduced earlier that summer.

5 Likes
4 Likes

I love that show! But I must have missed that episode because I would have notice that.

When I was working at an English language used bookstore in a Spanish speaking country, I read a lot of books. There wasn’t a lot of traffic but I made my $1 an hour and the occasional pot of coffee. I picked up Dianetics.

I’d just finished up a degree in philosophy so I was primed for difficult texts and ideas. Dianetics was not difficult, but I still couldn’t finish it. The reason was, it said that if you don’t agree with a statement in the book it’s because you didn’t understand some of the words. So you’re supposed to go look up each of the words until you agree. Apparently, ungrammatical bullshit can’t be called out as such, and it left me thinking that all scientologists are willfully ignorant.

It wasn’t my book, so I couldn’t light it on fire, but I really really wanted to.

7 Likes

Supposedly Hubbard’s 1952 book has a section on Piltdown. Bad timing, there. And successive editions have kept it.

3 Likes

I was listening to ABN, but I found a version of it here:

The conversation starts about 10 minutes in. They talk for about 3 minutes. The line is:

“…Now I’ve taken-up Dianetics. Only to straighten-out my friends, of course.”

1 Like

I read everything Ayn Rand wrote because there was a whole section in the library on it and I had a lot of time on my hands so I skimmed through it to figure out why my nerd friends in college were into it. Never figured out a logical, objective reason for it, except that some proportion of nerds, like any demographic, grow up to be manipulative assholes who want to nuke the untermenschen. How else could this unendurable body of reaching polemic be liked and promoted by so many and with so much money. I was like, okay, not using the word “cult” exactly right now, but I’m just moving it over to the same column as Scientology, Christianity, Mormons, Nazism, and ESPN.

8 Likes

I think some people will champion any thin gruel of a worldview as long as it tells them “being a selfish asshole is good actually, even superior to those nerds who say you can’t just treat other people like shit”. It’s dispiriting.

I’ve also read most of her stuff and I think the just-a-little-light-rape view of sex appeals to the incel types. Anyone who finds themself to be “angular” would be pleased, it’s her top description of attractiveness, it felt like.

6 Likes

Thin gruel indeed.

4 Likes