Well this is interesting

And if someone dies it’s because of the victim’s medical problems, not because of the department’s reckless use of chemical weapons and/or chemical torture devices on civilians.

Note that the 14th Amendment is supposed to promise “equal protection,” it doesn’t try to promise there won’t be unequal attacks by the law.

5 Likes

. . . poked in your eye.

3 Likes

:thinking:

4 Likes

And potentially your lungs. Depends on whether you’re breathing in when they spray it in your mouth.

2 Likes

How to propose-- a pitch deck.

1 Like

Two questions:
First, how does Gabriel intend to keep this secret from Marissa, given how public he’s made this proposal.
Second, “Gabriel wishes to simultaneously propose and marry Marissa via ‘the ultimate journey to LOVE’”… Wait, are they getting married tomorrow, too? Isn’t it a little presumptuous to schedule the wedding when you haven’t even proposed yet?

4 Likes

explanation here.

the pitch deck was leaked. Or something. It’s all a bit dumb.

3 Likes

Vomits in tulle and lace, with a few well-placed sequins for visual effect

7 Likes

answer in the form of an instagram post,., please.

5 Likes

Another iteration of something that’s been going on since at least the 19th century.

It reminds me of promotional radio plays Hollywood actors used to do for films; they’re included as DVD extras sometimes. I have one for Lux soap which claims it’s the only soap the newly married Lauren Bacall will use to wash the laundry with.

8 Likes
8 Likes

Holy…

I was thinking maybe the edge of town.

7 Likes

Potential seizure warning for the bridges in the time-lapse, and the night driving-- I’m adjusting the time bar to avoid watching right now-- and the turns.

Also, Promima Centauri not Sentorae.

3 Likes

I really don’t understand the second complaint. I mean, when people are speaking English they tend to say things in English. It’s rare that I hear Mexico said the way it is in Spanish, let alone Nahuatl, and I never hear Baghdad said the way it is in Arabic. I’m not even sure what language star names like Betelgeuse or Vega should follow, originating from Arabic transliterated by people who didn’t really know Arabic.

Proxima Centauri is lucky to have a name that’s proper Latin, so yeah, we could ask everyone to switch to medieval or – if you don’t like the soft c – classical Latin pronunciation, instead of the modern English versions astronomers use. But who does such prescriptivism really help? Insisting people need to stop speaking the way they normally do and follow old rules instead doesn’t seem to have a great track record.

8 Likes

The entire Quebec City-Windsor corridor plus a bit, say a bit less than half the distance between Quebec City and La Malbaie. (We’ll add the remainder on that end rather than consider a trek through North Windsor. Nothing against North Windsor, you understand, but border crossings are a pain…)

4 Likes

For those curious, the last distance shown is about a minute before the end - 1200km or 746 miles, they don’t actually mention the total at the end. I find it a strange comparison that starts off with visual, spatial things like a golf ball and grain of sand, and then switches to time perception of travel, but without any indication of speed or distance and at rapid time-lapse that circumvents that time perception, then trails off without a map plot or comparison to visualize the distance and tie it back to the visual/spatial analogies at the beginning. I think the summary at the end should have been spoken in Spanish for further emphasis.

Maybe it’s communicating that by the time you reached another star so much time would have passed that people would be speaking a different language, culture would have changed as completely as driving on the opposite side of the road, and you would perceive things differently.

7 Likes
8 Likes

“Space is big. You just won’t believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist’s, but that’s just peanuts to space.”

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

11 Likes

Never tell me the odds.

7 Likes

You really want your mind blown?

The distance from the centre of the Earth to the Moon is c. 400,000 km. The diameter of the Sun is c. 1,400,000 km.

So, if we’re measuring the length of the “road” to Proxima Centauri starting from Earth, instead of from the Sun, the farthest a human has gotten along that road is still inside the golf ball.

10 Likes