Well this is interesting

Risky click of the day.

5 Likes

It’s the title of a book, which came from something printed on a T-shirt that Richard Hell wore in NYC. You think the link is risky - it’s not, trust me - try wearing the T-shirt anywhere nowadays!

Ever hear of Legs McNeil?

4 Likes

I know; I already clicked through. But that URL was enough to make me hesitant, like, “What is going to be on the other side of this link? Is this a euthanasia site?”

6 Likes

I’m putting this here because it falls under the “Hmmm…this is inTEResTING” subhead if one actually existed, lol.

I’m being sued for CC debt by the collection agency for Citi, and their attorney is asking for a continuance to for additional time to file a motion for summary judgement. And he’s doing it because I asked the judge for an extension. How…unlawyerly? Hah?

Anyhow, I don’t have to go to court until September 23rd, instead of August 26th; and hopefully, I’ll be working and they can garnish my wages or whatever - ugh.

7 Likes

OK, so this dude is not to be admired, but hand building and living in an off grid bunker for four years is pretty impressive.

8 Likes

Maybe this will publicise the viability of solar powered housing at last.

9 Likes

Might get the preppers to worry less about collecting ammunition and more about contemplating their past crimes.

6 Likes

Past crimes won’t matter in a World Gone Mad

4 Likes
1 Like

Kind of surprised not to see Train on the list of collaborating artists, after Hoff showed up in one of their music videos.

4 Likes
8 Likes

Poor Conan Doyle. He’s still my favourite Victorian author.

I’m not sure syllogisms are the best way to check for people being rational, though. The two given in the article are logically constructed – they’re just also not true. Logical != true.

Some very absurd and unrealistic things are perfectly rational.

4 Likes

This paragraph didn’t ring true to me:

Meeting these two men for the first time, you would have been forgiven for expecting Conan Doyle to be the more critical thinker. Yet it was the professional illusionist, a Hungarian immigrant whose education had ended at the age of twelve, who could see through the fraud.

Physicians aren’t necessarily scientists (Conan Doyle had a number of scientific bloopers in his Sherlock Holmes stories), while a magician is the perfect person to see through the fraud of mediums (e.g., the Amazing Randi).

11 Likes

This. Houdini was skeptical simply because he knew how easy it is to fake. He wanted desperately to believe, but wanted to know it was real before putting his faith in it. And he was very good at his craft in ways that most mediums weren’t. So it was disappointing to him on a professional level. Part of why we see him as the great skeptic is the juxtaposition with Conan Doyle, but we forget that this was right in his wheelhouse.

His blindspot was in thinking that because it could be faked, it must be fake. Which served him well studying the supernatural, but it doesn’t translate across into everything. A skilled forger can fake the Mona Lisa. That doesn’t mean da Vinci didn’t paint the original.

ETA: Houdini was good at spotting fake mediums. It doesn’t necessarily follow that he might not be duped by a counterfeiting scheme. It often does come down to areas of expertise.

10 Likes

Some very absurd and unrealistic things are perfectly rational.

Like Rationalism, which sought to reconcile natural philosophy and religion. It’s the whole reason we use the word the way we do today, its propaganda has become the common meaning. Don’t question the existence of gods, rationalize it. Be ratonal, it’s not like gods don’t exist, amirite?

5 Likes

maybe you should read some Bertrand Russell.

2 Likes

To quote Frasier Crane,
“You don’t understand! I have a degree from Harvard!
When I’m right the world just makes more sense.”

6 Likes

He controls the vertical. He controls the horizontal.

Be sure to watch it to the end.

2 Likes
5 Likes

maybe you should read some Bertrand Russell.

Should I? My impression from school was he was trying to be the Lord Kelvin of yappering.