Well this is interesting

Hmmm…my great-grandpa was the head sawyer in a mill up in Boyne City, MI. No idea what he made, this was late 19th century. Being in MI, it could’ve been for local usage or ships that travelled the Great Lakes, I’ll prolly never know.

I’m gonna guess pine, maple, oak, and…hmmm…walnut? :smiley:

Oh, I somehow read it as the “Four”…do not ask me why. Dirty glasses, screen too far away, not magnified enough - that’s my story & I’m sticking to it!

Interesting though.

1 Like
7 Likes
3 Likes

The current Oz floods are much too serious to be amusing, but this is something you don’t see every day:

5 Likes
6 Likes

Apparently the Bonneville Salt Flats are disappearing:

After the salt is gone, you get mudflats which dry into dustbowl.

7 Likes

I went to Portland, Oregon, to interview Prof Joel Nigg, who is one of the leading experts in the world on children’s attention problems, and he told me we need to ask if we are now developing “an attentional pathogenic culture” – an environment in which sustained and deep focus is harder for all of us.

When I asked him what he would do if he was in charge of our culture and he actually wanted to destroy people’s attention, he said: “Probably what our society is doing.”

Prof Barbara Demeneix, a leading French scientist who has studied some key factors that can disrupt attention, told me bluntly: “There is no way we can have a normal brain today.”

from

Found via source links for one of the topics touched on in

7 Likes
5 Likes

Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.

4 Likes
5 Likes

That is very, very cool, but I think the writers missed a bit of context here:

“Unexpectedly favourable”.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Mygawd, how different history would be if Rudy G.'d gotten whacked! Details just before the halfway point.

1 Like

For your consideration:

4 Likes

Mmmmm. Kreplach with corned beef and soda bread hamatashen.

4 Likes
4 Likes

My memories of Scholastic Books are of the “Weekly Reader” brochure and how great the selection of books in it was; all the neat kid-science books I inherited from my older brother (not to mention all the “Encyclopedia Brown” books), and the warm nostalgia of buying books for my own child from them.

5 Likes

I might need to buy something like this for my mother sooner than later.

3 Likes