Well this is interesting

The most recent episode of Quirks and Quarks included a segment about vampire bats, for those podcast-ily inclined. It’s really interesting. My uncle was bitten (not badly) by a vampire bat, in Central America, but he said it was his own fault, because he disturbed them, and it was defensive.

5 Likes

It involves Edward Cullen “changing” them.

1 Like

Here’s the paper, which is open access. The link from the AP doesn’t work–it tries to log me into some AP file server.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.abm6494

2 Likes
3 Likes

I wanted to know if anyone else thinks that it looks like John Travolta is ready to tear Smith’s head off.

1 Like
1 Like
4 Likes

Some different viewpoints on the time that led up to the Great Recession. I’m not entirely convinced, but it’s interesting to see things framed with a different narrative.

1 Like
2 Likes

Two issues with videos like this

• I just don’t have the patience to sit through a half-hour video if I can’t figure out what the guy’s point is—like, if it’s just “this is how relativity works,” then fine I knew that already

• Often the most interesting thing in what would otherwise be some dude reading Wikipedia to us would be learning where each of their B-roll clips is from, but they never actually tell us

2 Likes

While it does at the beginning just restate the basics of relativity (yes a little boring), what took me back to my childhood years, when I read all the sci-fi I could find in the library, was the ultimate conclusion. Being able to effectively travel beyond the universe and time as we know it, and unable to get back no matter how fast you traveled, even if you had infinite time.

That sounded a lot like something from one of those golden age sci-fi stories I read as a kid when everything was so fascinating.

I think back then we didn’t really know as much about the expansion of the universe - we knew that it was expanding, but not how fast the rate was increasing or what that meant, at least when combined with steady acceleration.

I understand though, I usually much prefer an article vs. a video. So much easier to skim/reread, deal with interruptions, on your own timeline, etc.

That one does list sources for all of the music and clips used, and reference papers, in the description on Youtube:

3 Likes

Ditto, for any topic.

5 Likes
1 Like

Couldn’t resist.

2 Likes

During the preparatory excavation, archeologists discovered a number of historical artifacts including painted sculptures, tombs and sections of the lost rood screen which was a sort-of fence that was constructed in 1230 to separate the choir from the congregation.

6 Likes

it’s a longish article. At various points in the medieval mass, things were elevated, so that they might be shown to the great unwashed.

5 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes

My first thought was of Nell Gwyn, for some reason. I’ve not read the article yet, but I will after I’m done catching up here.

2 Likes