Well this is interesting

I’m just gonna put this here and let nature take its course…

[ETA] I went to put it up over at the other place, AND THIS STORY IS A YEAR OLD AND NOW I’M MAD!!!

Off to bed…

10 Likes

Thread:

7 Likes
9 Likes

I said “damn, that’s dope” out loud.

6 Likes

This reminds me of many of the caves at Orhei, Moldova, half a continent away. This is one of the largest ones, that permits an average-sized man to stand upright.

8 Likes

This is more a personal crusade than something I just stumbled over on the net (though I guess I probably did stumble over it at one time).

AllTrials is an effort started by Ben Goldacre to push for all past and present clinical trials to be registered and their full methods and summary results reported. The problems of withholding and improperly massaging clinical trial data are pretty well known.

In case you don’t know, Ben Goldacre is a physician and the author of Bad Science: Quacks, Hacks, and Big Pharma Flacks), a great book about medical malfeasance.

Actually, there’s a law from 2007 that says drug trial data have to be reported to the FDA within 12 months of conclusion. By law, there are fines the sponsors are supposed to pay for being late. Many trials are late, but the FDA has collected exactly $0 from the trial sponsors. Over $1,000,000,000 is owed. Finally, the FDA is working on a regulation to implement it. You can sign a petition to get this done.

There are almost a 1000 trials that are late.

13 Likes

To quote the Leverage showrunner: a fine is a price.

9 Likes

4 Likes

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/2018/11/all-over-the-map-mental-mapping-misconceptions/

10 Likes

Think the trick is to have a mental globe instead of a mental map.

12 Likes

That’s how I see things in my mind. Not linear, but global. Been like that for a while. It just makes more sense to me.

6 Likes

Yup. Southern Ontario is on the same latitude as Northern California, yet we almost never imagine it that way.

11 Likes

You mean the bits south of Detroit? Yeah, I recently had to add me a map of northern Ohio to the pile of junk in my brain.

6 Likes

Ohio is the state north of Florida and east of Ontario

7 Likes

I love how one of the subsections was labeled “Persistence of Memory.”
Talk about distortions!

7 Likes

It’s true!

18 Likes

So…we’re supposed to look at lemons with the same level of scrutiny as bananas now?

11 Likes

No comment.

7 Likes

Ok fine just keep jk simmons away from them.

6 Likes

Best smelling house fire ever.

6 Likes