Well this is interesting

7 Likes

Available come December for $20,

Doesn’t mention how much the refills will be after the nice, crisp, clean “bills” are crumpled up by people grabbing them.

If the size of the bills was close to “real” money size though, could have potential uses outside of the game.

5 Likes

I vehemently disagree with the part which claims Sandberg was ever in the feminist stratosphere – not outside of her book PR buzz she wasn’t – but overall this makes good points.

6 Likes

I thought that when I read her book. It wasn’t so much “feminist” as an odd hodgepodge of feminism and misapplied “bro” culture mixed with an MBA education.

9 Likes

That game should be called “Monopoly, Government Paying Contractor Edition.”

7 Likes

I haven’t read her book, but this particular genre is disappointingly popular. I mean, bro/feminist/MBA/bullshit.

5 Likes

It was all about putting a feminist spin on Facebook’s bro culture.

8 Likes

TLDR: If you are a lady and you want to get ahead, just work harder. You Go Girl!

14 Likes

That is the best summary of Lean In that I’ve read yet.

11 Likes

We had a big thing about it at my work. One of the women who led it up at our work was one of our token executive type women who was always fawned over a lot. I think because she was really pretty. I don’t know - my boss said she was really sharp; I only ever saw her in these big online events. But she was up the chain in the organization I was slotted in, so it became a thing for a moment to go to these Lean In events where we followed the official curriculum for exactly one meeting. After that, a really sharp cookie who was running the on site events (a PhD in Biology who ended up working on marketing for engineering because, hey, guess what, STEM careers are super sexist and she couldn’t get support for her research) - threw the curriculum out and started focusing on some more useful things based on work she was doing with her life coach. I liked her a lot and was sad when she left the organization. Anyway, none of the women were interested in more money or promotions because they had second jobs running their households that were important to them. It was weird as many of these women had advanced degrees and were running departments, etc., like, people who seemed like they were ambitious.

We also had an HR lady in one of our early meetings who spilled the beans that, yep, they have one lady (like the lady who was our official Lean In diva?) who would get paid way disproportionately to the rest of the women so that they could say that the pay and opportunities were roughly even.

I was kind of excited about it, then I read the book and was just so fed up with the lack of awareness of the institutional problems around women getting ahead. I’m glad Sheryl Sandberg was able to get ahead and from a relatively young age, but she was definitely in the right place at the right time.

15 Likes

Look at this fucking cow, you lot (has some vids, so autoplay warning!)

11 Likes

While Knickers is a fine name, I’d have dyed him blue and named him Babe.

13 Likes

Well actually, a steer, so incorrect on both counts.

9 Likes

Just take proper care of him so he doesn’t get Bunyans.

11 Likes
13 Likes

Stop knit-picking and look at that critter!

8 Likes

Need placeholder text? With infectious diseases?

4 Likes
7 Likes

8 Likes

No sooner said than done (plus a month or so).

The store is from another age, with wooden shelves and glass-fronted cabinets holding an eclectic collection of old printed material, much of it only of interest to collectors, although there are works on art, architecture, cooking, etc that don’t really go out of date.

At the back sat the famous Biblio-mat. Waiting.

The proprietor sat behind a large wooden desk that was covered in intricate carvings that seemed to writhe subtly in the dim light. I approached, purchased a token ($3.00), answered his questions three (“red”, “aluminum”, “not recently, no”) then, trembling with a mixture of anticipation and formless dread, approached the turquoise slab.

I inserted the token.

There was a loud sound, somewhere between a thud and a clunk. When I recovered, I noticed that the black rectangular opening near the bottom of the machine now held a small book.

Shaken but determined, I stuffed the book in my backpack and left.

The book is the reminiscences of Sarah Jane Full Hill, who lived through the American Civil War and followed her husband, an officer in the Corps of Engineers, in his travels.

The book itself is well bound and looks brand new. There’s no indication that anyone has ever opened it. I’m a bit disappointed that it isn’t something weirder, or else on a subject that I am more interested in, but that’s the hazard of buying random books.

Experience rating: :star::star::star: Would visit again.

18 Likes