Well this is interesting

Lucy, that sounds very familiar. My father was born in the aftermath to people who lived and were still living the Great Depression, and were doing OK in a big city but only because they never spent money. My mom, on the other hand, grew up dirt poor, rural poor, in a place where the Depression never ended, to a father who didn’t know what condoms were for, and they never had enough to go around. So yeah, waste not want not very much the plan, and that lives on in me.

(I have the feeling she and her sibs were punished for eating food because she’s really bent about it to this day. There may also be something else there, something involving her father, but whatever the reason she’s really not OK. OT for this thread; that would be Crazytown.)

10 Likes

I was just going to suggest the same thing. I used to have to cook a “Depression meal” about once a week so that we would appreciate how hard it was. (Actually, not so hard from the standpoint of being the cook: most of the time I was charged with cooking very elaborate French dishes, because Julia Child was in vogue.)

Still save every paper clip, ‘just in case’. But I’ve learned how to throw out/donate/give away at least occasionally, so at least I’ve evolved somewhat.

10 Likes

I should add that I’ve tried to make sure my kids knew why I was like that, and that there were good aspects of ‘waste not, want not’ to consider, but that I was actively trying to make sure I was evolving into a more sustainable, functional equilibrium. One seems to have followed in my footsteps despite that, but I think it was in reaction to the fact that I would ask her to give her hand-me-downs to her sister or others, etc. She focused on the loss rather than the gain (new clothing that fit, etc.).

10 Likes

According to the tags, this was a Lucasfilm Christmas card from 1981 painted by Ralph McQuarrie.

8 Likes

10 Likes

Be sure to buy your family some nice Christmas mittens, or they’ll be attacked by Yuletide kittens!

6 Likes
1 Like
6 Likes

I got this link from someone claiming the King James bible was still under copyright. Since copyright as such didn’t exist when the KJV was first published, I checked the source link.

It’s a royal patent. Which is kinda sorta but not really the same thing.

9 Likes
4 Likes

OK, this is the weirdest thing I’ve seen in a while.

http://www.adultswim.com/etcetera/choir/

6 Likes

Imagine building something that people will look at 4000 years from now.

11 Likes
8 Likes

Which got me thinking. If you wanted to create something pople could see in thousands of years, you couldn’t pick a better place than deep in a dry cave.

2 Likes
4 Likes

They still play it as a zero sum game, however: one group eliminating all others.

What happens if all the other generally trustworthy groups got together against the “always cheats” and even the “randoms” if necessary, and agreed to work together to the benefit of all? You don’t even have to eliminate them… Just when someone proves themselves unworthy of trust, refuse to play at all. The cooperative types (which is pretty much everyone, as long as everyone cooperates) can make the dough while the cheaters can all cheat each other and keep losing.

Hmmm…

6 Likes

This thread:

And this one:

9 Likes

I fell into a link rabbit hole with these (and thank you for that), and found this article. I’m going to cross-post to @ChickieD 's thread on weight loss.

https://www.aier.org/article/why-ketchup-mexico-tastes-so-good

4 Likes

The slow creep of corn is pushing into Mexico, though. There’s a ton of plastic-bottle Coke (corn) sold vs glass-bottle Coke (sugar) now. Condiments, candy, and flavored dairy products are following suit.

7 Likes

The whole corn syrup is the problem and not real sugar is sugar industry propaganda so you feel okay to eat sugar as long as it’s not HFC. It’s all sugar.

5 Likes