Well this is interesting

6 Likes

I love him. I was also impressed that even though he had a role in creating Bohemian Rhapsody he allowed Freddie Mercury to take all the credit for many of May’s innovations, such as the clapping rhythms and sounds.

10 Likes
3 Likes
9 Likes

Wasn’t sure where to put this…

8 Likes
3 Likes

I always thought it was 1541 and 1571.

4 Likes

Nope, look at the font. 1 and I agree clearly different.

1 Like

but see

and

ftp://www.zimmers.net/pub/cbm/manuals/drives/1570-1571_Disk_Drive_Users_Guide.pdf

3 Likes
1 Like

Right-- but manuals are often a good indication of internal parlance. What did Commodore call it? The manuals say “1541, 1570, and 1571”-- and the original typography seems rather unambiguous. Wikipedia will simply repeat what others remember (or misremember)

Now-- if only there was an unambiguous way to decide between Next and NeXT. I’m willing to believe it’s Next, but boy oh boy did its programmers adore camel case.

3 Likes

I was told it was NeXT because the machine was the next XT.

This may be the first time I’ve seen it as Next.

1 Like

It’s clear someone at Commodore was a very clever, and patient, troll.

6 Likes

yeah, looking at the documentation-- even the early stuff, it clearly says “NeXT”.

http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/

here’s some stuff on Paul Rand’s design approach.

3 Likes
8 Likes

Wow. That is fascinating. I cannot imagine what that must have been like for him.

6 Likes

Not to be confused with Rand Paul

2 Likes

Anti-spy against raspberry pi.

8 Likes

Y’know, I was in the gifted programme for part of my education (depended on funding and how much my teacher liked me), and I still think they’re BS. And this is why – all knowledge and ego boosting, no ethics.

8 Likes

Found the culprit.

3 Likes