Whatcha Watchin'?

Well if you can’t get to the cinema…
3335849-ep6

4 Likes

Better or worse than the first one? And does Laibach still do the soundtrack?

And speaking of terrible films with some association with 1980s industrial music… we watched this last night…

The highlight was a brief cameo by Al Jourgensen… Really not worth it otherwise.

3 Likes

I’m going to say worse. Not without merit, but the first one had something I didn’t feel with this one.

The music didn’t stand out to me enough to say without looking it up.

3 Likes

I looked it up… looks like they did.

Thanks for the review, though.

4 Likes

Another terrible movie reboot scheduled for 2021, Dungeons & Dragons, with previous director Courtney Solomon producing. How does anyone think putting the same people in charge would make it worth doing?

8 Likes

I see why; in fact, I watched it on your recommendation.

Even more so now, I’d say; big business and ‘the evil rich’ have only gotten worse since the 2008 financial crisis.

6 Likes

Well, if they manage to make it more like the sequel, but better budget…

Nevermind…

4 Likes

Shouldn’t somebody be making movies from the works of Fritz Leiber before they have to dig down into secondary materials like D&D

7 Likes

I’m gonna guess that they wrote this article for people that didn’t actually live through the 80’s because I’ve seen all 10. In multiples, even.

ETA the list…

10: Altered States
9: Scanners
8: The Dead Zone
7: Escape From New York
6: Videodrome
5: Twilight Zone : The Movie
4: Dune
3: 1984
2: The Abyss
1: They Live

10 Likes

Uh, Twilight Zone: The Movie, a masterpiece?

7 Likes

I’ve only seen four or five of 'em, with one of the others sitting on my plex server waiting for me to get around to it…

4 Likes

Well, they needed a nice, round number, see?

I remember when it came out, my friends and I called The Abyss “the Abysmal.” Although Rotten Tomatoes gives it an 89, so what did we know?

6 Likes

It has some cool ideas, the effects are remarkable, especially for the time, and the actors are all good. The within-world plausibility is not horrible – they have little touches like one of the “expert” characters saying, “we ought to be dead” when the aliens do some extraordinary defiance of physics.

What’s weird is the pacing. Some scenes, especially the more emotional ones, just go on and on. It would have made far more sense to me to cut those down a bit and then show the actors trying to go on with their tasks and being a bit shaky still. And then other bits seem to blink by.

7 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen them all least once…

4 Likes

I can’t recommend Watchmen tv series enough. I’ve read the book several times and saw the movie. I was very disappointed with the movie because the book has layers and layers of backstory and mysteries to uncover. The series starts off like Lost with a number of puzzles but unlike it answers them quickly in later episodes. The world building is complex. The exposition is expressed naturally by the charcters so even if you haven’t read the source material you can keep up.

10 Likes

Other than the Abyss, I’ve seen every one of these. I would recommend watching other movies also by these directors
David Cronenberg: Dead Ringers, The Fly, Naked Lunch
David Lynch: Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Lost Highway
John Carpenter: Halloween (of course), The Thing, Dark Star

4 Likes

The Abyss is like if Close Encounters was at the bottom of the ocean and directed by James Cameron

Having somebody say “this is implausible” while looking at the camera doesn’t make it more plausible. They could have ended the film when the hero finally went in the alien craft, and left the mystery of what happened to him for a sequel, instead of trying to resolve everything in the following three minutes.

7 Likes
  1. Altered States - Meh
    9: Scanners - Loved it
    8: The Dead Zone - Meh
    7: Escape From New York - Still Love it
    6: Videodrome - Love it. (+ Debby Harry!!!)
    5: Twilight Zone : The Movie - Meh.
    4: Dune - meh. (Sorry)
    3: 1984 - haven’t seen it
    2: The Abyss - Liked it then, but it had issues I agree
    1: They Live - still love it and would watch it right now.
7 Likes

seconded. last night’s episode blew my friggin’ mind.

3 Likes