Whatcha Watchin'?

No, no, I probably didn’t need to say anything, I was just getting nervous.

3 Likes

They softened it a bit in the way they portrayed it, too.

2 Likes

I saw Black Panther last night and…
the hype is justified. For one thing, the story gives the background of the character and setting without making the whole film an origin story, and does it very neatly too.

And despite the (very well choreographed and enjoyable) action scenes, overall the film is very thoughtful – and thought-provoking. Whooole lot of economic and foreign policy positions being interrogated here.

There’s some genuinely gorgeous cinematography. I loved the shots of Okoye, crouched on top of a speeding car, sizing up her next spear throw while the skirt of her evening gown flows out behind her, as magical and brilliant as any superhero cape.

All the acting is fabulous too. Being a superhero film it probably won’t get nominated for Oscars – but it should.

Favourite minor fun bit – Martin Freeman’s very nasal, quite annoying American accent.

Aaaand that’s about as far as I can go without spoilers.

9 Likes

The Expanse season 2. :open_mouth:

Going to see Black Panther this afternoon!

8 Likes

SO SAY WE ALL!

(No reason to get excited).

4 Likes

I just watched that and it was fun. Definitely reminded me of the type of night I might’ve had in my younger days. :laughing: Thanks for the recommendation!

2 Likes

What you did there, I hear it.

2 Likes

April is super soon!!

8 Likes

I binged this series. Yeah!!! Was so good. Cannot wait for Season 2.

3 Likes

I finally got around to watching Stranger Things and wound up watching the whole damn thing into the middle of the night to finish it. I think I liked it more than the first season, especially fleshing out the other characters a lot more in a natural way.

Also, it ends on the best dad (mom?) joke:

7 Likes

Maybe that will be next the well-loved series which I binge at all once.

So far since 2010 it’s been:

• Veronica Mars (The first 2 seasons were good, the last was just okay)
  • SPN (They really should have stopped, ages ago)
  • Sons of Anarchy
  • Six Feet Under
  • Breaking Bad (It’s still a freakin’ unicorn of a show)
  • Sherlock
  • Grimm
  • Teen Wolf (I quit after S5; it just got too stupid for me)
  • Arrested Development
  • Psych
  • Doctor Who
  • Game of Thrones

I only binged the first season of Orange is the New Black before becoming hooked, so it doesn’t really count.

Also, I briefly watched Glee and True Blood, and quit on both; Glee was only interesting during the first two seasons before becoming too repetitive, and I only watched TB because of the male eye candy; it always had terrible writing and hammy performances.

I’ve had meatspace friends suggest Shameless, Black Mirror and Firefly: haven’t gotten around to any of them yet.

11 Likes

Currently rewatching the wire. That might be worth adding to the queue.

7 Likes

That’s one that people have been suggesting to me for years, along with 24 and the Shield; maybe ‘it’s a Black thing,’ but for some reason, most police procedural dramas just don’t appeal to me.

Exceptions were CSI when Gil Grissom was still a character, and Dexter before the writers gave up completely in S5.

8 Likes

And now it’s singalong time.
9 Likes

IIRC, I attempted to watch the pilot episode of Firefly and just wasn’t engaged. I keep meaning to give it another go.

There’s an even longer list of shows that I tried to get into, but just couldn’t.

Among them are:

• Warehouse 13
  • The Librarians
  • Alias
  • Stitchers
  • Once Upon a Time

ETA:

The new cat Dustin’s mom got at the end of S2 was called Tews?

Seriously?

7 Likes

Good list, at least of the ones I’ve seen.

Do it! Do it now! (Don’t be put off by S1E01 of Black Mirror. Better yet, don’t watch it first. Trust me.)

If you liked BrBa, check out Better Call Saul. It’s every bit as good.

ETA:

Cheesiest SF show ever, but a lot of fun. One of my guilty pleasures.

5 Likes

The Wire is officially old now but it’s less a police procedural than the ghost of a police procedural beaten to death by ghosts of police politics, drug dealing politics, labor politics, newsroom politics, prison politics, education politics, and then back to drug dealing politics.

6 Likes

Too late; wish you had warned me 2 years ago.

My strong aversion to bestiality is mainly what’s kept me away, despite all the rave reviews and knowing that each ep is a stand alone.

That was a terrible choice for the pilot.

I’m already very hip to the misadventures of Jimmy Mcgill; that’s just how good BrBa was, I was actually down to watch a prequel (which I usually don’t care for in most shows.)

And Michael McKean was unbelievably brilliant; it will be interesting to see where the series goes after what his character did last season.

I couldn’t stop comparing it to Friday 13th the Series, for which I will always have a soft spot.

And I’m still officially not interested. Maybe too many years of seeing real life corrupt cops ruined the premise for me.

8 Likes

That it was, though that’s the only reference.

3 Likes

When it came out, the exposure of police politics (politics is the management of civil war by another name, right?) was still a novelty… for white people. That’s why it was at the top of the lists of what white people love. The last seven years has moved us closer to the scowl of recognition, but we still have the luxury of not knowing or leaving it at the eyerolling. Sorry. :flushed:

6 Likes