Whatcha Watchin'?

This is a lot like Farscape

5 Likes

Iā€™ll take that as a high recommendation, and seek it out.

Farscape is one of my favorite shows of all time, and is my go-to for when I want something on the tevee that I donā€™t have to track closely (since Iā€™ve seen it quite a few times).

4 Likes

I found the first episode confusing but the Farscapiness becomes really obvious in Episode 2ā€”the bad guys are Space Fascists, somebody is an exiled monarch, thereā€™s one character from Earth, they donā€™t even bother explaining how he got there, it doesnā€™t really matter

3 Likes
1 Like

Fifteen minutes no one gets back.

2 Likes

Been watching Ozark, which is pretty good. Iā€™m enjoying Laura Linney and Iā€™m team Ruth all the wayā€¦

Just started on Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts, which is super-cute and adorable and if you need some light, fun fare (especially if you have kids) I highly recommend it.

5 Likes

Ozark is great, and Ruth is a real piece of work. I think Iā€™m behind now, and need to get caught up. I did not know that there was a ā€˜team Ruthā€™.

1 Like

I donā€™t know if there was, but there is now. Sheā€™s awesome-sauce, that girl.

ozark-ruth-dont-know

Not team Darlene, tho. Man, that womanā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been watching ā€˜Space Forceā€™ the last few days. Before watching it, I had seen a review that panned it quite a bitā€¦

Workplace comedies need a strong ensemble to connect with, and thereā€™s not a single character here that the audience can get onboard with. Naird lacks the one thing that made Michael Scott bearable: a heart. Heā€™s just straight up a dick.

So my expectations wereā€¦ tempered.

What I got, thoughā€¦ I wouldnā€™t call this a comedy, honestly. Itā€™s funny in places, downright ridiculous in places, but in others it really plays thing painfully straight. While the main character starts out a bit of a dick, after two or three episodes it felt to me more like people just trying to hold things together against a tweeting president and other all-too-real issues. Some of the characters could use a good bit of expansion, but with only 10 episodes I can only fault that so much.

That review made a lot of comparisons to The Office, which Iā€™ll admit Iā€™ve not seen aside from the viral memes which are everywhere. So I donā€™t really have the cultural point of comparison the review author was going for.

3 Likes

I watched part of the first episode. I found it totally boring and a waste of a lot of star power. I didnā€™t find the setup very interesting to begin with. Lisa Kudrow seemed promising but of course it was going to focus on the menz. I think she had 2 sentences.

1 Like

Iā€™ve made it through three episodes, but, yeahā€¦ doesnā€™t seem to be going anywhere.

I am intrigued though why Lisa Kudrowā€™s character is in jail, so I might keep watching just to find out.

1 Like

iā€™ve been very interested in watching it, based on the cast alone, but i wonder if itā€™s suffering because everyone is expecting The Office and itā€™s not trying to be that. granted, iā€™ve never seen The Office either, but it sure seems like Carrell has that looming over everything he does these days.

1 Like

Part of my problem is the few episodes of the office I watched I didnā€™t think were funny either. G

1 Like

This. Iā€™m convinced had he lived, he wouldā€™ve done the ultimate parody/satirization of the current POTUS.

5 Likes

I am acquainted with a person who is not from the Ozarks, but has lived there for more than 20 years. This person watched the first couple of episodes, and found the ā€œdangerous hillbilliesā€ too close to reality, and too scary to find entertaining. I know there is more to the story, but they would not tell me about it.

I guess I should give it a chance, it appears to be realistic on at least some levels.

5 Likes

i used to live in St. Louis, went to school in southeastern Missouri, and have been to the Ozarks more times than i can say. iā€™m kind of afraid to watch that show. Although i think the stereotype of ā€œhillbillyā€ gets applied far too often and often unfairly, it does have a grain of truth.

2 Likes

The first time I visited, I encountered a lot of people who self identified as hillbillies. I didnā€™t have a good answer to ā€œwho ya kin to?ā€ or ā€œwhat kind of name is that, anywayā€ and the stereotypes were solidified in my mind.

Edit: It was a real cultural experience so soon after living in Central America, I tell ya!

5 Likes

oh, i bet!

I think it comes off as that early on, but they manage to craft some pretty believable and empathetic characters over the course of the show. There is sort of a hierarchy of criminals they set up (the Mexican drug cartel the main character works for, the local drug king pin still pissed about his land being confiscated by the state years ago, and the working class petty criminal family), and the family at the center of it has to navigate all of them (themselves a sort of stereotype of white, urban privilege). Especially for the most stereotypical of all (the Langmores, who are set up the petty white trash criminals), they manage to make them compelling and complicated characters instead of just the stereotypes they seem to be at the beginning.

Anywaysā€¦ team ruth!

3 Likes

My dad is from Neosho, MO. Iā€™ve been to the Ozarks lots of times. I wasnā€™t aware of any criminal or dangerous element. But it is a creepy, weird, isolated place.

2 Likes