Whatcha Watchin'?

I see Klingons are familiar with Voyager as well.

8 Likes

And, yet, still the best Trekā€¦

ds9-weyoun-okay

2 Likes

SaƧma!

2 Likes

decided to take a chance with The Wire.

so far, so good.

11 Likes

It gets better, as well! The final (5th) series isnā€™t as strong but itā€™s still worth watching to see how it all plays out into the next generation.

4 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s a really good show. Then watch Treme.

5 Likes

I want to talk about tonightā€™s the Orville, but I posted too soon. Iā€™m erasing it to repost tomorrow, or a little later, when my brainā€™s doing better with the words and stuff. :confounded: :wink:

5 Likes

Having seen Episode 3, all I can say is The Orville is Seth MacFarlane doing Star Trek. Not a parody of Star Trek. This is Seth MacFarlane as showrunner for Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 8.

People who think that sounds awesome will love this show.

If it makes you feel deeply confused, then youā€™re not alone.

9 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m liking it better than I thought I would, and that does confuse me. The first few episodes were rough and awkward, but tonightā€™s episode made me feel like the showā€™s starting to come together into something thatā€¦ doesnā€™t completely stink.

In factā€¦ I think I like it. :scream:

Oh, itā€™s definitely Next Generation Trek with the serial numbers filed off. Tonightā€™s concept wasnā€™t new (a generation ship where the inhabitants no longer remember theyā€™re in space), but it was solidly executed, with a sense of wonder from both the Orvilleā€™s crew and the aliens that helped sell the story. In fact, I felt like it ended too soon. Without getting too spoilery, what the crew did is bound to have a profound impact on the alien society, and I wanted to see it play out. This episode actually left me wanting more. Wow!

It wasnā€™t perfect. IMHO, most of the jokes still fall flat, but theyā€™re starting to feel more like organic reactions from the crewmembers and not just random crude attempts at humor. Iā€™d prefer less anachronistic pop-culture references, yet I grinned at the Friends quip. And the characters are beginning to develop, if only a tiny bit, into more than one-dimensional stereotypes tailor-made for the lulz.

Iā€™m starting to think the Orville is finding its footing, and it just might grow into a show worth following. And yes, thatā€™s confusing me, considering itā€™s from the same person who made Family Guy. But Iā€™m intrigued enough to keep watching and see what happens next.

5 Likes

Having not had a chance to see it or the new Trek yet, itā€™s been very interesting watching the reactions of friends on social media.

Before:
Oh holy crap! I canā€™t wait for the new Star Trek series! It looks so good!
This Orville show looks godawful. is it Seth MacFarlaneā€™s Galaxy Quest? Hard pass.

After:
The new Star Trek is all wrong. The tech is wrong. Itā€™s ugly. Itā€™s boring. Itā€™s awkward. No thank you.
So, the Orville is my new Star Trek now. Fake Trek is actually better than legit Trek.

6 Likes

I missed the first half-hour of Discovery, so I canā€™t fully judge it. It seemed pretty interesting, and if it was airing on broadcast Iā€™d follow it, but Iā€™m not signing up for CBS All Access just to watch it. Itā€™ll eventually get syndicated or released on DVDs. Iā€™ll catch it then.

4 Likes

I was excited for it, but I didnā€™t even watch the pilot, because fuck CBS, Iā€™m not paying extra for that.

5 Likes

Totally with you on that.

However (temples fingers) they have a ā€œtry it freeā€ option, at least for Canada right now. Itā€™s tempting to let several episodes stack up and then watch them, then cancel the subscription.

3 Likes

cough bā€Œitā€toā€rrā€Œent

2 Likes

Sure, if I can find one ā€“ which doesnā€™t happen lately. Never was very good with that.

Iā€™d rather just wait. Like other people have said, is not going to go away

2 Likes

I think the guys who do the wire are doing a new show? The Deuce, about times square in NYC in the 1970s, if I remembering correctly.

3 Likes

I watched the Rourouni Kenshin musical at the anime convention weā€™ve been going to this weekend:

I have to say, it was pretty fucking amazing. I donā€™t think you can get it in the states on blue ray or DVD with subtitles, etc. The people who had it ordered it from Japan and did the subtitles themselves. Also, the theater troupe that did it were all women - so all the roles were played by women and there were 3 extra musical numbers at the end for no discernable reason.

In some ways that might be even more alien and unlike the present than Boardwalk Empire.

Especially if they want to get really weird. There was a lot of weirdness hiding in the corners of America in the '70s and '80s, before there were computers and cameras everywhere.

4 Likes

Never mind.

The Good Place actually has more in common with The Truman Show, or The Prisoner.

3 Likes

Iā€™m listening to this:

The Lawfare Podcast: Oona Hathaway and Scott Shapiro on ā€˜The Internationalistsā€™

The Kellogg-Briand Pact is often remembered as a failure. Signed in 1928 to outlaw war, it was followed in just over a decade by one of the deadliest conflicts in history. But Oona Hathaway and Scott Shapiro see the pact differently. In their new book, ā€œThe Internationalists: How a Radical Plan to Outlaw War Remade the World,ā€ they argue that though it did not successfully end all war, the pact changed the way states resolve disputes, reduced the likelihood of conquest, and set of a chain of events that led to the modern world order. On September 11, they sat down with Jack Goldsmith at the Hoover Book Soiree to discuss their book and its implications.

Itā€™s more interesting than it sounds. One thing I found interesting is that before 1928, the kind of measures that are associated today with the avoidance of open conflict (economic sanctions, for one) were illegal, and that should change my understanding of wars prior to the Kellogg-Briand pact.

4 Likes