Whatcha Watchin'?

If so, there’s no way he understood it.

2 Likes

I think he did…from his POV, Charles Foster Kane was a hero. I do doubt he understood the significance of “Rosebud” in the movie. I doubt if he even knows about what “Rosebud” allegedly meant in real life (Hearst’s name for Marion Davies’ clitoris)!

Wait, what? I’ve never heard that!!!

2 Likes

Wow!!! I’ve known it for years. I haven’t seen “Mank”; I wonder if it’s mentioned in there?

I think I first read about it in “Bring on the Empty Horses!” by David Niven. I’ve read so much history about films and Hollywood, though, so it could’ve been from somewhere else.

1 Like

I heard it in a documentary from the 1990s about Welles and the making of Citizen Kane — probably the American Experience. I think it’s just a titillating rumor people like to speculate about. It could be something Welles and Mankiewicz put in the movie as an inside joke. But how can we know, and how can anyone know what Hearst and Davies talked about behind closed doors?

2 Likes

From what I read, it was Mank’s joke to name the sled “Rosebud” in the first place. as he had the axe to grind w/Hearst. But…

Davies drank a lot, and who knew what she may’ve said to whom? And there were Filipino servants who could’ve been bribed for info. Maybe Hearst told someone himself - someone whom he shouldn’t have.

1 Like

Cute little rom-zom-com. Awkward nerdy girl has a drunken one night stand with rich pretty boy, and they wake up to the zombie apocalypse.

3 Likes
4 Likes

it’s actually on my calendar, haha

3 Likes

Happy Halloween

… I had forgotten that the original George Romero zombies could pick things up and use weapons

They also had that in the first episode of “The Walking Dead” but then they changed their minds

2 Likes

Currently showing free on Tubi, Roku, and Plex.

This was a nice 80s-style “kids go on an adventure and hope their parents don’t find out” movie. Although the kids are now in their 20s, by modern standards they’re still kids. Misfit nerdy kids.

It is clearly playing on the success of Stranger Things, and similar, with just a hint of E.T. and The Goonies. There’s a D&D scene, a bike riding scene, etc.

The special effects aren’t much, but that’s not really important. The characters are each distinct and their interaction is what makes the movie. With a little bit of humor and a little bit of danger, it gives each of the characters a chance to do something. Fun way to spend the evening.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Has anyone seen any of these? If so, do you think they belong on the list or not?

1 Like

For anyone that didn’t heed my earlier call, this is now even more accessible:

Seriously, you should watch it.

5 Likes

I… misread that slightly at first.

1 Like
2 Likes

Halloween spooky movie time!

A hospice nurse working at a spooky New Orleans plantation home finds herself entangled in a mystery involving the house’s dark past.

Pretty good southern gothic movie, set in the Louisiana bayou country, where the past doesn’t remain forgotten. No monsters or jump scares or gore, but a good deal of atmosphere, mystery, and a bit of surprise at the end (that makes perfect sense).

3 Likes