Whatcha Watchin'?

I ummm went a little crazy at the central branch of the library the other day.

Power of the Daleks was neat. It is the first Pertwee story and considered lost for a long time. While they found footage it wasn’t in good shape but with the original full audio and snippets of film to work with they did pretty decent job of making an animated version. While the animation wasn’t anything great it was watchable and it was a good story for The Doctor.

7 Likes

I guess I’m going to have to jump…

2 Likes

Watched the Xmas special last night on BBCA; would go to the theater showing but it’s only playing at one local theater on Wednesday, an hour after I get off work. No way am I staying in the city past the time I’m required to.

5 Likes

I am in a good location. I can walk to a theaterplex that is showing it.

6 Likes

So could I, as the theater is technically walking distance from where I work.

I enjoyed it, but not enough to spend money and extra time in SF…

4 Likes

Ahh well walking distance from work is different than walking distance from home though. Considering the current chilly weather here I may drive anyway. Plus it gives me a reason to wear my scarf on an outing.

4 Likes

Very true. If it was walking distance from home, that would be a different story.

6 Likes

Two all-time classic X-Files episodes were on tonight: “Clyde Bruckman’s Final Repose” and “War of the Corprophages.” The writing and acting in those episodes are just brilliant. I don’t watch the show much any more-- I found season 9 so poorly done I swore off the series, and season 10 failed to change my mind-- but these two episodes remind me why I used to love that show so very much.

7 Likes

One of my favorite words

2 Likes

That’s my favourite X-Files episode. Scully gets all the best lines:

“You stay here. [checks gun] That’s no place for an entomologist.”

4 Likes

Squeeeee!!!

cheat-look-good

3 Likes

On Netflix? They do.
I’ve watched the first four episodes on Netflix. In the options for the show, I chose the German audio (which is the actors speaking as filmed) and English subtitles. There are also choices for dubbed in English and a few other languages but the bad lip synching in dubbing always bothers me.

4 Likes

Two thirds of the way through Mr Robot season 3.

Still liking it

2 Likes

BIG FAT QUIZ OF THE YEAR!!
RichardAndNoel_sm

9 Likes

boosh-pretty-good

9 Likes

I, Tonya.

Still soaking it in. So many great performers in this one, especially the major cast. Janney, Robbie, and Stan play off each other so well.
I don’t want to spoil any of it. I mean, everyone knows about “the incident”, so that’s nothing new. It’s just fun to hear everyone’s viewpoint, like some sort of Rural America version of Rashomon.

Also saw Battle of the Sexes.
Emma Stone was good as Billie Jean King, and once again, Steve Carell becomes some sort of chameleon when playing Bobby Riggs.
The film plays to her perfectionism, and by the end, tears were streaming down my face.

5 Likes

I finished watching Crazy Ex-Girlfriend on Netflix. Wow that is just such an interesting exploration of romantic love and how women and men get hung up on it as this panacea for all their pain. There were episodes where it was really hard to watch, it rang so true for me. I also really enjoyed the women body humor, like fart humor for girls. A song about period sex? It was great to have someone talking about female bodies and the gross things they do as if they were not shameful, but grist for the humor mill. The humor was a little twee and Millennial in a way that made me feel old, but I try to stretch myself and not be stuck watching only things aimed at me.

giphy-downsized (14)

I also finished up The Crown’s new episodes. Very good. I especially love the physical humor of Claire Foy; these little touches they do to show how dowdy the Queen is, how uncultured in many ways. She nails it. Matt Smith as Prince Phillip is also remarkable in his physicality of inhabiting The Queen Consort - dashing and fit, and a little goofy. There were a couple of really good episodes this season.

I do hope this trend of desaturating every bloody color out of everything will go away soon. We get it. You can easily desaturate colors using software. Message received.

giphy-downsized (16)

giphy-downsized (15)

6 Likes

binge-watched this with my mother in law over the holiday. loved it. once i saw the end of the first episode and saw “Palladino,” i went, “oh, of COURSE – now it makes sense!”

the look, the smart, sassy, savvy protaganist, the biting humor – of COURSE it’s by the woman behind the Gilmore Girls. after that i couldn’t get enough.

2 Likes

8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown Christmas Special:

4 Likes

a little late now (the deadline being yesterday) but:

the article is nicely snarky.

Fans of The Wire who thought the second season was a misstep and the fifth season was a disappointment—i.e., non-fans of The Wire—can broaden the scope of Simons’ apology for just a little more money:

7 Likes