Whatcha Watchin'?

Thank you! I was wondering if it was from here. Makes sense.

The news curation. It is working.

4 Likes

I guess Iit tells us a lot about how the people in the Academy think, at least.

With Get Out, Black Panther, Moonlight, and many, many others, maybe that’s been smashed once and for all.

5 Likes

I said back when Donald Trump asked “What is wrong with these shithole countries,” someone should answer him. People are starting to.

5 Likes

Although the shithole country referenced here is mostly just the U.S. He really could have talked a lot more about not-the-U.S./Canada America. Maybe as a series instead of an extended bit.

4 Likes

I watched You Were Never Really Here this evening.

It’s a familiar path based on a novel, so nothing really new or surprising, story-wise. However, it’s from Lynne Ramsay, writer/director of films such as Ratcatcher, Morvern Callar, and We Need to Talk About Kevin. I’ve always felt her perspective and visual translation is one of the better elements of contemporary filmmaking.

5 Likes

Well they’ve cancelled dare devil so I guess thats all of them.

2 Likes

All of the Marvel Netflix shows? Not quite: Jessica Jones and The Punisher haven’t been pink-slipped yet.

4 Likes

Ok that’s something.

2 Likes

I watched this the other night (Netflix).

It’s been compared to a Black Mirror episode, and just judging by the plot that’s fair, although the execution isn’t on that level. Still, it’s an entertainingly creepy thriller.

Fun fact: I just found out that the lead actress, Madeline Brewer, was actually in an episode of Black Mirror.

5 Likes

Over the last holiday we we’re trying to find something the two of us would both like.

My partner mentioned Star Trek -Discovery. I had been briefly interested in it when it was announced, but wasn’t going to pay for another streaming service. So I promptly stopped paying attention to it.

But, there was a free month offer which I thought we might get through season one in that time.

It started off good, but my partner checked out during the third episode.

I made it to episode 13 and just can’t bring myself to watch any more.

I could rant about everything I felt was wrong, but I’ll just chalk it up to being “not made for me.”

7 Likes

Alien Covenant: It starts off as pretty standard Alien flick-- naive humans get curious, they split up, they do stupid things, and the Aliens start eating them.

But, all of a sudden, it starts continuing the narrative threads of Prometheus.

Also, robots are very bad for human health. Especially David.

2 Likes

Weirdly, I just came here to post that I just finished the first season and have the complete opposite reaction that you did! I thought I’d go in not liking it, but I really did enjoy it. It had enough Star Trek elements for me and I think it’s probably the most like DS9 (which is my personal favorite Trek). What I did not like was the Klingon redesign, I just flat hate how these Klingons look. The movie/TNG Klingons are the best Klingons. I liked everything else, though.

But yeah I can see how some might not enjoy it.

2 Likes

Too much, “Surprise! It’s a twist!”

Too much violence for my partner. (The comments about eating the first captain made her leave the room)

The tech seemed too advanced for 10 years before TOS.

Time manipulation at the drop of a hat. Harry Mudd (admittedly well played) has a time loop thingy. And of course the Fungus Freeway offers time travel.

And the Spore Drive? How are they going to make any knowledge of that disappear from the data banks. I’m sure Janeway would have liked that back in the Delta Quadrant.

Why did Spock never mention his adopted sister?

I want more boldly going and less federation at war.

7 Likes

This is my problem with pretty much all Trek since Voyager ended. Even the first season of Enterprise seemed to be too much about the run-up to the Temporal Cold War (and I more-or-less stopped watching after the first season).

5 Likes
6 Likes

Ditto. DS9 had too much war and battle for my taste.

2 Likes

Again, DS9 was personally my favorite, because it did put much of the idealism of the federation to the test, instead of just assuming it, if that makes sense. Personally, I appreciated the overarching story telling and dealing with the geopolitical realities of liberalism. Plus, DS9 gave a view of the Federation from outside the federation, not just from the “enemy” perspective either, but from the wary allies position (Bajorans and Ferengi especially). But it still came down on the side of the Roddenberry idealism being right, in terms of having the most to offer us in the future - a rational, equitable, post-scarcity society.

It was also the only Star Trek that dealt head on with racism in America, not as an allegory of both sides need to get over themselves, but head on as a form of social oppression faced by African Americans. Far Beyond the Stars is a great episode, set in the early 50s and it connects Siskos command with that history. It’s the one I show my class each semester (along with the article about racism he experienced in his career that Delaney wrote in the 90s).

10 Likes

Given all the bad press Star Trek Into Darkness got, I was pleasantly surprised when I actually watched it. Sure, it could’ve been better, but it was a solid piece of work, and the meta-commentary on militarism was a nice bonus. Also, PETER WELLER :heart_eyes:

DS9 left a bad taste in my mouth at the time, just in that it was part of the general re-militarization of American culture during the '90s. All the space opera that wasn’t Star Wars had a bad case of Star Wars envy. It seems like that process has run its course now — EVERYTHING is dark and gritty and macho, and something like The Orville stands out for NOT doing that.

5 Likes

Fervently disagree. The plot was nonsensical, the characters never behaved anything like the people they had been established to be previously, the plot was littered with references to Wrath of Khan that didn’t fit, they took one of the most heartbreaking moments in all of Trek and cheapened it by imitating it and then fixing it with a deus ex machina five minutes after it happened, they came across a freaking cure for death (in a way that also makes no sense) and didn’t give any mention to it beyond using it in service to the plot…

It’s a hot mess of a Trek movie. I’d’ve enjoyed it as a popcorn action adventure B-movie, but it just wasn’t Trek.

Dunno. They still defeated the bad guys through military conflict - firing missiles at the villain, causing his ship to crash, and then beating him nearly to death (only stopping so that they could retrieve the deus ex machina). What’s the commentary there? Militarism is only good when the good guys use it?

5 Likes

Well, as I said I didn’t expect much going in.

The villains being inside Starfleet, trying to start a war on false pretenses, that’s what I meant. But if you wanted it to be More Trek instead of Less Trek that would probably make it worse.

3 Likes