What's in a name?

HAARP?
stupid post must be 10 characters

4 Likes

Oh yeah? Ā 

3 Likes

Cory may still have the trademark on Banana, but I think we can claim Rob Ford.

5 Likes

bbs.thisisntevenourfinal.space, another $4.

temporary.site was my first choice, but it was a premium domain.

This should be reasonably litigation resistant, and itā€™s clear that itā€™s no keeper.

Let me reiterate that I alone chose the name happymutants.space, based on the fact that many members of Boing Boing refer to themselves as Happy Mutants. Although I was previously aware of Happy Mutants LLC, I had forgotten about that when choosing a domain name. I did not perform adequate due diligence to avoid this, and for that I am genuinely sorry.

My current plan is to transition the site to the new domain as quickly as possible, while trying to minimize any service outages that may occur. Iā€™ll make an announcement prior to the switchover, and then set bbs.elsewhere.cafe to redirect to bbs.thisisntevenourfinal.space.

Once we are firmly established at the new domain. I will reach out to the authors, admins, and publisher of Boing Boing and offer to transfer ownership of the happymutants.space to them. If they accept, that will be the end of it. If they decline, Iā€™ll probably either point it to bbs.boingboing.net or to nothing at all. Also, if I retain ownership, Iā€™ll let the domain expire after one year.

This should resolve any issues, and give us plenty of time to come up with a new identity.

Also, and this is a very small matter, but regardless of any funding model we end up using, all of the money that I have spent on these two domains ($8) will only ever come from my own pocket. It would be unfair to ask you to contribute to the costs when you have had no part of the decision making process.

Thank you for your continued support, and please let me know what you think.

20 Likes

Itā€™s more like a passphrase than a domain name.

ME IN THREE DAYS: Um, bbs.notevenourfinalspace.com? Was that it?

Unable to load page

7 Likes

Okay, we will all buy you a beverage of your choice at some point. Your kidneys and/or liver may file a restraining order against you, but again with the thank you. Itā€™s a no harm-no foul in reality, nothing to be apologized for.

7 Likes

All of those are taken. While thisisntevenourfinal.space might be cumbersome, if nothing else it motivates us to find something else quickly.

6 Likes

Sure you want to inform them that weā€™re starting our own site? You could just park the domain and let it expire.

7 Likes

I agree that caution may be warrantedā€¦ but then again, the Owl was the one who suggested it in the first place, how can be blame us for going through with it? insert shrug gif here

For some reason, ā€œthe Waywardsā€™ Refugeā€ popped into my head last night. It could either stand as is, or be modified (ā€œthe Wayward [Mutantsā€™] Refuge.ā€) Itā€™s probably too fancy and too long for the site, but I thought Iā€™d throw it in there.

9 Likes

Itā€™s not that Iā€™m afraid of their wrath; itā€™s just kind of an awkward way to make it known to them.

Announcing that weā€™ve abducted Jackhammer Jill and are holding her for ransom would be my vote ā€” ā€œHey, we started our own site, but donā€™t worry itā€™s all in good fun.ā€

5 Likes

?

Neil Patrick Harris, Danny Glover, Nicolas Cage

1 Like

I seem to remember him saying something along the lines of ā€œif you donā€™t like the way we run the site why donā€™t you go off and start your own.ā€ I canā€™t remember where he said it and Search isnā€™t helping me find it.

13 Likes

I was really hoping you remembered him saying ā€œif you donā€™t like the way we run this site, go start your own happy mutant siteā€¦ā€ :smile:

7 Likes

It was in lounge welcome thread. I can thaw the archive and find the quoteā€¦ Iā€™ll have to retype it by hand, however.

1 Like

An argument worthy, in its disingenuousness, of the Petulant Owl himself.

Kudos :wink:

3 Likes

One of the authors popped into a PM thread to say hi, so they got invited here. While the others may not be aware of it at this point, some will probably think it amusing (Cory) or befuddling.

7 Likes

Um, was that a compliment??? :slight_smile:

1 Like

So um, @honeybunches, do you foresee this being a problem in the immediate future? BB doesnā€™t seem particularly litigious but a lot of weird stuff has happened in the last few weeks and itā€™s difficult to judge the mood from an outsiderā€™s perspectiveā€¦

6 Likes

I shudder to imagine the utter dragging we would get if we trademark smacked fans for having the term in a domain ā€“ itā€™s not even a registered trademark!? Iā€™ll ask

15 Likes

Absolutely.

1 Like