When Naturopaths Attack

I didn’t know where to put this, so I made a new topic.

WHAT THE EVERLOVING FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?

10 Likes

Admittedly, it’s a homeopathic remedy at a potency of 200C (1 part active ingredient to 10400 parts water), which means that there’s a probability statistically indistinguishable from zero that there was even a single molecule of rabies virus in what was given to the child.

That said, I think that homeopaths are the worst example of fraudulent medical practitioners in existence, and that homeopathy should be consigned to the dustbins of history, along with other discredited and pseudoscientific “medical” treatments.

10 Likes

“Facing controversy”?? The naturopath should be charged with reckless endangerment or something similar. Then again, if naturopathic ‘treatments’ are so diluted as to be useless, maybe the child’s parents should be charged with stupidity instead. I mean, isn’t this like using powdered animal genitalia to try to fix erectile dysfunction?

9 Likes

If stupidity were a crime, there’d be more people imprisoned than free.

8 Likes

By and large, homeopaths are fraudulently withholding treatment. And the Tuskagee Syphilis Experiment found a worse way to do that.

Because of the extreme dilution, few are fraudulently doing harmful treatment.

But I thought naturopathy was supposed to refer to traditional herbal medicine? Which is allopathic, not homeopathic.

7 Likes

Not so much. You’re thinking of herbalism, which can work on allopathic principles, but simply hasn’t been tested to the extent required to be viewed as reliable medicine. And yes, some naturopaths will prescribe herbal medicine to their patients.

But naturopathy as a whole is pretty much a rejection of allopathic principles, instead substituting the idea that the body has its own internal source of mystical healing energy, and that illnesses should be treated by promoting that energy, or channeling it to specific places, or removing barriers that prevent it from flowing properly.

In other words, pure superstitious bunk, into which homeopathy fits quite nicely.

6 Likes

Maybe a homeopathic remedy made from ground up stupid people would help.

7 Likes

Nah, for homeopathic medicine, the active ingredient is something that might cause the thing that you’re trying to treat.

You’d need to grind up a Rupert Murdoch publication of some sort.

6 Likes

:joy:

4 Likes

Placebopathic remedies do seem to have a history of being more effective than they should logically be. Of course it’d be stupid to use them for cases with known causes and treatments. But if there’s no identifiable cause or treatment for something and a placebo works, maybe it’s not too stupid. The scientific question is whether paying medicine prices for them and taking each dose with a full glass of woo increases their effectiveness to a statistically significant degree.

4 Likes