Where should I move to?

To put it mildly.

5 Likes

Maybe you should just move to France
And buy some perfume and some corduroy pants.

We live, love the oldies,
But Nixon Donald is president.
With his nifty policies,
It’s gettin’ hard to pay the rent…

6 Likes

Montana, so you can raise a crop of dental floss

6 Likes

In all seriousness, I both envy you and don’t envy you.

I love the midwest, and I grew up there, but I don’t know if I could go back, especially in this political climate.

Probably the best suggestion on here, at least for me. I have been there a couple times. Wouldn’t mind going back sometime soon.

Gah. Huntsville is a hole. I’ve been there for about a week at a time for business trips, and that was more Huntsville than I could stand.

I also have a lot of family there. I can’t say I don’t like Atlanta, because I like it just fine. It’s just not my favorite place in the world. I wouldn’t mind living there, but nothing draws me to it.

If I could stick to the remaining postage stamp sized areas that haven’t been gentrified yet, I could have a lot of fun though…

Cons: too fucking trendy.

Chattanooga: where Atlanta goes to get away from Atlanta.

8 Likes

All good points…

4 Likes

Asheville is definitely on the list. I have two friends there. It’s a bit of a drive to Nashville from there. It is beautiful, though, and if I am seeking male companionship, probably more likely to find a mate there for me than most of the other spots.

Chattanooga appeals, too. It is really pretty. I didn’t know about the Internet thing. That’s appealing. Confederate bullshit - all over the South. Ask me about what it was like living near Stone Mountain, birthplace of the KKK!

Knoxville - was there years ago. My mom’s first cousin lives there, and her daughter (my age), and there’s a fair amount of Jewish people there. On the list. Fuck my list is too damn big.

Tijuana - could be fun. Safe?

What’s the weather like in Vancouver Island @tinoesroho? and Saint Andrews, New Brunswick. @nimelennar?

10 Likes

St Andrews is low double digits Celsius in the middle of summer. So, fifties or sixties Fahrenheit. My ideal temperature, but probably way cold for you. I’ve never been there in the winter, so I can’t speak to what their winters are like. It is less rainy than Tennessee, but that’s not saying much.

6 Likes

Weird question, but is your asthma well-controlled? According to asthma control plans here in Aus, you shouldn’t need to use a reliever (Ventolin/salbutamol) more than twice a week for it to be considered well-controlled. I ask because it seems like if your asthma was under control, it might be slightly easier to choose where to move to if it was taken out of the equation.

Of course I don’t know about costs of asthma meds in the US, nor what sort of medical coverage you’ve got, so I apologise if it was a stupid or insensitive or irrelevant question.

4 Likes

It is no problem at all in the summer but when it’s cold it’s a drag. I really want to go somewhere where it’s less of an issue. I also have to stay indoors all winter to keep it controlled, even with drugs, so I end up being a total shut in and I like the outdoors, so it’s just annoying.

5 Likes

Have you considered the southwest? It’s probably far from everyone you know, but you could find decent career opportunities and a friendly politico-cultural climate with year-round warm weather, if you can stand the cost of living.

7 Likes

I have. My brother lived in Phoenix and I could not believe how beautiful the landscape is and how much I loved it. Phoenix was okay but the landscape was so gorgeous. I have considered some of the more arty areas of the Southwest. My sister is in Utah and they love it there.

7 Likes

I thought I mentioned that (ie touristy and the cost of of living is rising, though coming from New York, that’s likely not a problem for @ChickieD.

We were just there. It’s still a nice place to be, despite all the tourists. Will go again!

Also… SEE ROCK CITY!

6 Likes

Haven’t been there in the winter either, but, the last few years, NB has been getting absolutely slammed by snow.

4 Likes

The hottest the island gets is the mid-sixties, dropping to the mid-thirties in winter. It’s essentially Little Britain, with less rain, and some fantastic restaurants. The ferry service occasionally encounters pods of Orcas and there’s some beautiful architecture on display.

4 Likes

Geographically there’s a lot to love about Utah, but demographically it’s so very very lily-white and Mormon. Plus, I myself find the winters both too cold and arid; never actually needed a humidifier until I worked on a six-week show in Salt Lake and Provo.

Rob Halford lives in Phoenix, so they got that going for them. :metal::sunglasses::metal:

5 Likes

Invariably, about the time southern Ontario is feeling that spring is finally here, Atlantic Canada is digging out from under another 60cm snowfall. Visit there in the summer, @ChickieD, you’d love the people and the scenery. The climate is another matter.

3 Likes

Salt Lake City is a bit more cosmopolitan – but then we were there for grad school and so most of our friends were students & profs. Many from other places. But it’s a pleasant city to live. There’s a lot of technology going on, especially in computers. The CS department at the Univ of Utah is very strong.

Far from water though, unless you count the Great Salt Lake (which is 5 to 27% salt, depending on lake level) . . . Lots of other stuff to do outside, though. There are many skiing places only an hour away; lots of hiking and so on.

Park City an hour away is charming, but getting built up. We have outdoorsy friends who live there and love it. They take their cats camping of all things, on leashes of course.

The people are friendly and warm. But you do have to sort of ignore the dominance of “the” church.

4 Likes

Yeah, I liked SLC. As you say, a bit more cosmopolitan. And the street layout appeals to the nerdy engineer in me. Quite pretty, too. Also, since I don’t drink but do love ice cream, it’s got my kind of nightlife.

Provo was a drag, however. The show I was on, being a non-union gig (which is why it shot in Utah) shot six-day weeks, and let me tell you, there ain’t shit to do in Provo on a Sunday that doesn’t involve church or nature.

4 Likes

My wife used to live in Asheville and I liked it.

Knoxville was always cool, but that could be a case ‘grass is greener on the other side’ from Nashville.

2 Likes

Just don’t leave the valley though. You get outside of the SLC valley and it’s LDS everywhere.

Lived in that area, confirmed.

6 Likes