Why Does Discourse Allow Editing Posts After Replies?

I post mainly on technical (IT and science) sites, and I feel it’s important I don’t actually misinform people, as other people occasionally cite my posts.

7 Likes

Post editing is good because I type like a fucking moron and in the hours of obsessing over it after afterwards I always keep finding typos, odd grammar, missing words, and general incompetence that makes a lie of my claim of being a native English speaker.

12 Likes

There are plenty of legitimate reasons for basic edits, from spelling and grammar to having thought one thing and typed another or made a factual error. There’s also the case of waking up and realizing that you posted something last night that you no longer agree with in the light of day, or just that time has passed and you’ve changed your mind. I think that such edits should be done with an [Edit: I changed this thing because] PS note. But there could also be cases where someone accidentally revealed personal info or is being stalked/doxxed. For that reason especially, edits should be easy.

If edit-trolling is actually a problem, a better way to solve that without throwing the baby out with the bathwater (and if you don’t want to ban the person outright) would be an edit-ban feature. For some configurable time period, the banned person would not be allowed to edit and whenever they post they would see a message saying “Please review your message carefully. Once posted, you won’t be able to edit it. See the policy on edit abuse to learn how to avoid this in the future.”

12 Likes

This sounds like a sound and useful feature. Even if/though we don’t use it, it sounds like a useful feature. Maybe worth posting over on discourse.org as a Discourse functionality proposal?

2 Likes

I think my biggest use of the edit function is when I realise that I have forgotten a close bracket.

Unless you pedantic programming people would prefer me to not to…

4 Likes

more importantly, where do you put the full stop? ( inside? ) ( or out ).

2 Likes

I love this idea of an edit ban.

3 Likes

Edited to make it more spectacular.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Attach bungie ropes from the lights to the disco ball . Then rocket motors to the lights. Then we get what can happen.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen this episode since The Muppet Show still had prime time reruns. Is it my imagination, or does the nose of the old lady Muppet at lower left light up?

3 Likes

Definitely something up with the nose. Could just be orange. Hard to tell from the GIF.

3 Likes

Yeah. But I think that GIF triggered a long-dormant memory. I bet it is indeed lighting up, and now I’m dying to know the joke. It’s exactly the kind of thing they’d do on that show in the service of a one-off groaner of a joke.

2 Likes

Maybe, but wouldn’t such a joke be just a little on the nose?

5 Likes