Why I Don't Want To Talk About That Mass Shooting

So Canadians also get almost zero institutional support for dealing with mental health issues? I was under the impression that people could get treatment as part of that whole “socialized medicine” thing. In 'merica, if you’ve got mental health problems, you’re pretty much on your own even if you have health insurance. There is almost zero coverage except for maybe getting pills. If you don’t have insurance, ha ha ha, forget about it.

5 Likes

Shoot an arms dealer?

2 Likes

Now there’s a scene for a film (because I don’t even want to imagine it in real life)… a mass shooting at a gun show.

5 Likes

Consider the phrase and how it’s used. “That kid who dresses in black and doesn’t go to church must have a mental problem.” “Homeless people must have mental problems, otherwise they’d have middle class jobs and own one or more houses and several cars like the rest of us.” “That guy who joined the nazi party must have a mental problem because we all know it’s wrong.” “That guy who shot a bunch of people in a crowd must have a mental problem.”

Meanwhile, someone you know who’s suffering from a real mental problem is forcing themselves to go to work every day, go to their therapist once a week if they can afford it, and do the best that they can to take care of their family despite depression, anxiety, or whatever it may be.

But in common speech “a mental problem” just means anyone who doesn’t dress, speak, and behave the way that someone thinks that they should. Or the way that said someone thinks that they would have acted if in the same circumstances. Someone other and different.

11 Likes

Just imagine all the good guys with guns there :confused:

3 Likes

This quote by Pence really bothered me this morning;

“If the attacker’s desire was to silence their testimony of faith, he failed.”

It seems like Pence is trying to make this in to an attack on Christianity. Already the alt-right has been trying to cast the shooter as an atheist, antifa, and Bernie Sanders supporter, and Pence seems to be driving that wedge deeper.

10 Likes

Assuming this was an attack on Christianity, and I don’t believe that it was, then that would be one of the rare instances that Christianity is on the receiving end of bloodshed instead of the giving end.

Pence was one of those people who promoted the death penalty for gay people in Uganda because Jayyyyyzus, so he can fuck the hell right off with that nonsense about violence against Christians…

11 Likes

Can we get Colin Firth and set it to saturday night special?

3 Likes

How many women have been mass shooters?
I get what you’re saying, but its a bit of a derail no?

Whereas most mass shooters are male and have a history of violence against women. So not to discount the seriousness of domestic abuse of any gender, it does seem that male violence against women has something to do with mass shootings.

10 Likes

This is pretty much the same here.
Mental health care is sort of covered… in that if you’re committed or you go to the ER or the doctor, you can get a prescription or emergency care, but thats pretty much only if you’re in crisis. If you want long term preventative care and you don’t have coverage, you’ll be on a waiting list for a least a year, longer depending on what you need. If you have coverage through your employer, like I do, you’ll get an annual amount of say $600 to use towards a psychiatrist, psychologist or counsellor. So maybe 3 or 4 visits, if you’re lucky?

We have socialized medicine, but not all areas of health are covered.
Eyes, teeth, prescriptions and mental health all can be out of pocket.

We have “good” health care compared to the US, and terrible health care compared to Europe.

9 Likes

I don’t think so - I wasn’t making a connection to mass shootings and domestic violence because I didn’t think you were; I was just pointing out that there is a connection between domestic violence and homicides, and that the number of women who kill their male spouses is a nontrivial number. Not many of those females go on to kill anyone outside their family though, which means they are not counted as mass murders.

2 Likes

I’m specifically stating that there is a link between male domestic violence against women and mass shooters.
I mean, I even quote an article that is making that connection?

So yes, men get abused too, I would never say they don’t, but thats not what I was talking about, because, as you say, the women that murder their husbands don’t typically go on mass shooting sprees, and thats what this thread is about no?

11 Likes

Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying, and that you think I was trying to derail.

2 Likes

No worries, hence why I phrased it as a question and not an accusation.

That most mass shooters are male and have a history of violence against women is a non-trivial fact, one that deserves exploration and discussion.

But thats a separate conversation from domestic violence in general.

8 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: :frown: Posts tino ate :frown:

mod's notes

Yes, I ate some posts. Thread was getting hard to read.

There were good points- now let’s get this train back on track.

- tinoesroho

You’re "but what about the menz"ing here. That’s not dialogue, that’s a form of shutting down dialogue. Is that really what you want to do?

11 Likes

Folks-

Yes, domestic violence is a problem, and yes both men and women can be perpetrators and victims of DV.

However, the same force behind DV appears to affect men and women differently; male perps are much more likely to also commit other crimes, inclusing mass shootings. This is something to keep in mind given this topic’s focus.

Thank you all for contributing.

If we can stick to the topic of the thread, that would be great. Fork a new thread to continue speaking on the issue of DV specifically.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

EDIT:
fixed typos

7 Likes

I love Sam Bee (and not just because she’s Canadian)

5 Likes

I can’t even keep up with these

There was another one? In El Paso?

10 Likes
10 Likes