Why Not Call the Cops

“It’s not about race!”

Yeah, right.

10 Likes

But everyone knows black people don’t celebrate the 4th of July! The neighbors probably thought it was part of that Liberal revolution they heard about from Alex Jones.

10 Likes

It seems like they could get them on false reports, no? I think the pattern shows these aren’t good faith calls.

10 Likes

Agreed. I expect their number is quietly tacked to not a few cubicle walls now.

7 Likes

Linda Krakora questioned whether Reggie had good reason to fear the police who showed up at her home that day.
“I think the police in my community are smart enough to see these are innocent children mowing the lawn,” she said.

That’s a direct confession right there - she knew that they were innocent children and intentionally called the police to harass them.

15 Likes

<head_slap.gif>

8 Likes

This system always worked so well for DA Harvey Dent.

11 Likes
13 Likes
8 Likes

Officer Kevin Brown, 55, was also heard on bodycam video telling the girl that actions like hers were “why there’s no grocery stores in the black community”.

No, actions like yours are, you walnut.

10 Likes

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/07/645637404/dallas-police-officer-kills-man-in-his-apartment-says-she-thought-it-was-her-hom

8 Likes

What is it with cops going to the wrong damn address.

9 Likes

How did she get inside? Why didn’t she notice that nothing in the place looked like her apartment?

9 Likes

He opened his door, probably trying to figure out what was going on with this crazy person trying to get in.

Anyone other than a cop, and they’d be lucky if they could plea bargain down to manslaughter, not start there.

11 Likes

Decline and go to plain text site. Can we get that option on more sites?

4 Likes

I don’t get that, what are you referring to? Is that something you see on the NPR site?

If you’re speaking in favor of text-only and light-weight sites, then hell yeah. I just saw NPR has a text only link at the bottom going to text.npr.org. I think that used to be located at thin.npr.org but they stopped updating that; it’s good to see it back now.

ETA: Now that I think about it, maybe GDPR-related, which might be why I didn’t see it, being in the States.

8 Likes

I think most news sites should have that. I want to see the news in plaintext, or maybe HTML with no css. I don’t need my web browsing slowed to a crawl to accommodate crap I don’t want to see in the first place

8 Likes

Re my next-door-neighbors to the north of my house: There are three beautiful girls and one boy whose father lives there with whom I presume are his parents; I think they run a family/friends babysitting co-op, because many of the folks who drop and pick their kids up also come over for social events. About a week ago, at 2:15 a.m. or so, he was screaming and cursing at the mother of the children; this has happened before, but this time - yeah, I called the cops. And guess what - they came to MY house! I’m like, uh, no, next door.

Oh, I forgot to mention - he chased her into the street when he was threatening her; I know this because a car that was driving down the street stopped and the driver confronted him. I heard the driver calmly saying, “But you said you were going to hit her.”, while my neighbor continued to scream about how awful she was.

The next day, someone from the Warren, MI police department followed up and spoke to the young man. Yes, I eavesdropped; it’s not like they were yelling, and I didn’t hear anything really specific, but the conversation was calm. Except for them making the mistake of coming to my house, the cops did a decent job.

The young man is a US Army vet. I don’t know if that has anything to do with it. All I know is that those kids are adorable for the most part (I had to explain to them why they shouldn’t scare the bunny that comes in and out of my yard). In the past, when he’s screamed obscenities at the mother of his kids, whom I believe lives in a different house, (so many people go in and out, it’s hard to tell. They’re Hmong, so that to me explains the tightly-knit family/friends thing), I didn’t do anything but try not to hear it. Yeah, please - no “Gran Torino” comments, okay? I ain’t Walt Kowalski (that was a version of my dad), and we’ve not gotten so friendly that they’ve shared food with me. When they first moved in, the elder dad gave me some deep-fried wontons that were OH-SO-GOOD, and I reciprocated with some homemade brownies…I wonder, is chocolate offensive in some cultures?

Anyway, domestic violence where I can hear it right next door - I’m gonna call th’ 'thorities.

11 Likes

Think it was the refuse all cookies options.

2 Likes
9 Likes