Why Not Call the Cops

I wondered that, too.

Apparently CSU has had some problems recently with increased racist attacks on campus, so it’s possible this family was considering the school BECAUSE they wanted their son to go someplace that seemed to support white supremacy (NOT saying that CSU believes this, just that some of their students have been making things difficult for minorities). It might have been jarring to her to realize that her widdle baby boy might actually have to share the classroom with non-white students after all.

One thing that came out on the police cam was the the woman in question listed “being on the tour without any parents” as one of the concerning factors to her. The younger of the two was 17 or 18, with a driver’s license, and his older brother is an adult in college. Why wouldn’t they go on the tour without parental supervision? When my daughter considered a local college, she went without me. Obviously, the ones we had to go long distances and stay overnight to visit, I went too, but any she could go to via public transportation (she doesn’t drive) were fair game to do alone.

12 Likes

Not to mention that they were"too quiet". Most Native American cultures have respect for elders and subject matter experts as a central tenet. When one is speaking, you listen. Quietly and politely. Which, it would seem, is a threatening act (personally, I blame the “stoic Indian” trope from movies and TV for this perception, as that character was far too often revealed to be dangerous and unpredictable. Stories shape us. This is why we need to be careful with what stories we tell).

But fuck this pearl clutcher. She probably would have called the cops if they were horsing around. And fuck the cops for the victim-blame bullshit of “you need to learn to speak up for yourselves.”

12 Likes

too risky
kind of suspicious

18 Likes

This artificial lengthening of childhood is really getting to me. They’re touring a freaking campus. Time was that was the break between childhood and adulthood. I would have been mortified to have my parents come with me on a campus tour.

17 Likes

I know, right? My cousin and I were 18 and 17 and we drove 5 hours to tour a campus we were both considering. Nothing about it was weird, in 1990, anyway. If you’re considering living someplace do you really need parental supervision?

11 Likes

Agreed. I didn’t do any campus tours with my parents. And even 8 hours away didn’t seem that far away to me (I never left the state)

6 Likes

tampabay.com/black-airbnb-guests-questioned-by-police-serve-notice-to-sue-ap_nationalac67205f9c1f45ffaf6202cabedf5008

13 Likes

Okay, two things:

So the woman called the cops because she waved and the vacationers didn’t wave back. Lady if they had been thieves, they probably would have waved back. I used to work at a school where 1/3 of the kids had criminal records, and you always knew which ones because they were the friendliest.

Two: this guy is the sheriff and he’s never heard of Air BnB???

18 Likes

He’s the sheriff. The only option is a hotel room with bars and little tiny windows.

10 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

7 Likes

Great article –

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2018/05/16/theres-no-cost-to-white-people-who-call-911-about-black-people-there-should-be/?utm_term=.1c0424b874b1

14 Likes

An interesting article.

8 Likes
9 Likes

“It sounded like a burst of firecrackers,” said Andy Hansen, 29, who was working a late-night shift in a building on the corner Southwest Sixth Avenue and College Street.

Hansen recalled hearing between six to eight gunshots followed by yelling and screaming. Within seconds, more than 10 police cars arrived on scene, said Hansen.

An unidentified woman told KPTV the campus cops had shot a guy who was trying to break up an altercation.

“It just took a turn for the worst and the good guy ended up getting shot,” the woman told the news station, which provided no additional detail or context.

http://oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2018/06/psu_police_fatally_shoot_perso.html

10 Likes

At least this one has a happy ending: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/black-kid-has-police-called-on-him-for-mowing-a-lawn_us_5b37b791e4b0f3c221a15bf5

7 Likes

A recommended book that is on-topic for this thread, but which I have not read yet:

https://www.versobooks.com/books/2426-the-end-of-policing

3 Likes

Remember the boy who was reported for mowing someone’s lawn? The same neighbors called again, because this time he and other children were playing in the adjacent yard during a 4th of July party. Oh, the horror.

12 Likes

Ugh. I mean, on the one hand, a charge like “wasting police time” would be so abused by cops, but on the other…

She needs to be reported as a menace. Especially since the last round of this only seems to cause a doubling down.

11 Likes