World history historical figures!

Anyone know a good figure from early modern Irish history - specifically during the time of the Irish Rebellion of 1641 and then the Irish Confederate Wars?

3 Likes

OLIVER CROMWELL LORD PROTECTOR OF ENGLAND PURITAN BORN IN 1599 AND DIED IN 1658, SEPTEMBER

“body seems unclear, is it a complete sentence”

5 Likes
2 Likes

I was thinking from the Irish side… I will put Cromwell on the list that students can pick from however…

3 Likes

Any well known Jewish figures? I added the founder of the chabad movement to the list for students to their figures from, but wanted to add more figures of Jewish heritage.

3 Likes

I’ve always loved that song, not just because it’s Python, but because the way I was taught history, once the colonies were set up in North America we stop paying attention to Europe much at all until the First World War.

So it’s educational.

Whoa.

The British Civil War happened in between the founding of the British American colonies and the American Revolution. Never noticed before. :thinking:

5 Likes

Jonas Salk has already been mentioned. Emma Goldman and Lev Trotskiy were involved in a lot of important 20th-century events.

I’m not familiar with Benjamin of Tudela, but his travels might help with the 12th century.

3 Likes

It’s modern era (so from around the beginning of the 15th century, so a bit early for my purposes on Benjamin of Tudela…

I have Emma Goldman on my US history figures list (and I mention her when I talk about Lucy Parsons), so I’ll probably add her to the world, too, mainly because when she was kicked out of the US, she went to the Soviet Union and had some critical things to say about the revolution… And I’ve got Trotsky already too…

6 Likes

Just a few off the top of my head.

3 Likes

Sir Feilim Rua Ó Néill
Eoghan Ruadh Ó Néill
Ruairí Ó Mórdha
Éimhear Mac Mathuna
Conchobhar Mag Uidhir
Donnchadh Mac Carthaigh
Aodh Ó Raghallaigh

I think all of them have complex Wiki entries.

If you have to pick just one, it should be Sir Feilim Rua Ó Néill.

4 Likes

Hopefully only to describe his genocides at Drogheda and Wexford. If there is a more hated Englishman in Ireland than Cromwell to this day, I’m not sure who it would be.

2 Likes

Albert Einstein?

Mel Brooks?

4 Likes

Super Dave Osborne?

3 Likes

You’ll love this piece, then:

2 Likes

Indeed, it’s ah… an interesting perspective.

2 Likes

Maimonides
Spinoza
Hillel

1 Like

Ando Shoeki was the Japanese historical figure that I found most interesting during my undergrad:

6 Likes

That’s an interesting one, for sure… Never heard of him.

He’s on my American history list… I do think I’ll put Einstein in the world history list…

5 Likes

Put Spinoza on the list, but both Maimonides and Hillel are too early for my class…

3 Likes

Ada Lovelace. Mary Shelley.

4 Likes