Badass Dragoons of the Highlands - Player Postmortem

I was going to say, I didn’t do that much PM communication… but then I took a look back. Every “draw” round, I touched base with my opponent’s player to ask who’d write up the fight. I wouldn’t mind those discussions (or any of my PM game-talk) becoming public, but not without permission of the other parties involved.

As far as welcoming new players… I didn’t feel unwelcome, I felt awkward because I didn’t know what I was doing-- like @messana said, the “new face at the party” thing. But everyone I spoke to was warm and encouraging, and @messana was gracious in answering any questions I had-- that helped a lot. If I come up with any other ideas to aid new players, I’ll write them up.

7 Likes

Thank you for raising the point. It’s trickier than it it looks.

For this game, the only person I had “out of charactdf discussions” about game mechanics was… @messana. I did pick up a key insight through careful, legitimate questioning of our Dear GM and I promptly shared that insight… with nobody. It was the only “edge” I could find in the entire game – Messana’s game was that well balanced.

In past games there have been mechanics discussions “offline”, but when your character is “David Falkayn – Star Trader” it’s a little weird to claim a spreadsheet P&L is “out of character.” That, and I was a running bank. And sharing (most) of my spreadsheet insights publicly as a tool to build towards my key objective: Keeping as many players alive as possible in world designed to attrition away less-careful players. That is, I was using my spreadsheets insights and discussions to keep players in the game, which is pretty much my definition of “winning” for a collaborative narrative.

For this game, I did share “spreadsheet” insights with key partners via pm, but these were entirely about stance strategy, and most of the information I posted publicly anyway. And … it didn’t work. The sample was just too small for the (tiny) game theoretic edge to overcome the large variance. Jane lost to Zero. I killed Other. GRRR.

I did initiate “out of channel” discussions via bbs.elsewhere.cafe PM and also on other “Post boing boing” discussion boards. To me these actions where “in the spirit of the game” because I was seeking to maximize player engagement. But when I got push back on one of those discussion boards, I stopped. I believe our game was poorer for it, but I was not about to risk antagonizing fellow players.

I welcome your feedback on my actions, and how you see improving them.

Thank You,

– that annoying dude who plays the hell out this shit while getting all preachy 8)

7 Likes

Oh, please do not take my comments as a criticism or disapproval, simply an observation.

3 Likes

I took your comment as an opportunity for reflection and discussion.

We all want this to get even better, and that requires feedback. I welcome your questions – and criticisms!

Thanks!

4 Likes

Ditto to what @Pogo said. Falkayn as a player is irreplaceably great fun, but a character like Collins is damned hard to play. I never forgot that his most infuriating attributes were entirely character-driven affectations, but that can be a thankless role to play if others do forget!

I remind myself that all of my Space Lizard characters are truly awful people, and I play them that way specifically because in person I’m too much of a boy scout. That is, in RPG-esque videogames, like Mass Effect or Red Dead Redemption or Skyrim or Fallout I always play a good guy, which is one of the reasons I don’t enjoy GTA (since it’s damned hard, if not impossible, to be a good guy in GTA), but the Badass games permit me the freedom to be crass, crotchety, slippery, and apparently selfish and backstabby, while still having room to redeem myself at any juncture. It tickles me no end to try to play as a foil to Falkayn/Zanetti/Landau/Collins, to employ a bit of low cunning id against his high-minded and carefully thought-out collaborative superego. I hope to have many more opportunities to do so!

11 Likes

Co-operation was not on your mind when you invited me to the opera. You had seen that I was growing stronger than the rest, asked me to meet you at the opera, I said sure (I lied, lol), and then you alerted the remaining immortals to what you thought were my intentions.

Rest assured, @David_Falkayn knows skullduggery well. And I admire him for his prowess. He’s becoming the Tom Brady of badass games.

I have the receipts !

A preacher calling The Devil “Your Highest Lordship”… and you all thought Zero was truly evil one…

6 Likes

On a different note, we need Peregrinus_bis and PenguinChris in for the next game. Does anyone have any sway to apprise them of yea olde next rounde?

4 Likes

Give 'em an @ mention. @penguinchris was Nessie, of course, and I imagine would leap at the next Badass opportunity. Peregrinus can probably be hailed at the old place, I imagine.

7 Likes

I used to cheat when we’d play Illuminati by embezzling money from the bank, but I felt like it was kind of in the spirit of the game. All I’m saying is that it seems obvious that you shouldn’t let The Gnomes of Zurich run the bank. :innocent:

I’ll admit that I haven’t followed any of the prior bbs games, but this postmortem thread has been pretty interesting reading. It looks like there was more going on than I would have guessed, and I’m looking forward to seeing what happens with the next one.

6 Likes

Honestly, read some of the old Badass game threads. Even after the fact, you can usually follow what happened surprisingly closely, and they are remarkably entertaining.

3 Likes

Hopefully from the inside!

4 Likes

Brief aside to say: the next outing has begun.

2 Likes

Hot damn!

@guest_account_7

If Summoned, I will Return (and Reply). I am very thankful for those who summon me occasionally, since I’m unable to participate in the community as much as I once did (I totally missed why we’re even here, for one thing) and it frequently feels like it’s something acutely missing from my life.

Of course, I never miss a Badass event. In this case, though, after my character died, I kept up with the threads but far less diligently (though I had dedicated browser tabs open without interruption all those weeks) and I confess that I lost the thread of what was happening around round 7 (edit: actually around round 5), though I kept reading, sporadically. Based on what’s been discussed here in this thread, I clearly need to go back and re-read to catch up.

In any case though, it was unclear to me that I could still cause effect as a Force Ghost after the valiant Immortal who vanquished me was subsequently vanquished, and my keeping up with things became far more erratic as a result. I liked the game mechanic here but like others have said in various ways, I wish it was more engaging in some way for the vanquished - in a game meant to kill off the players far more aggressively than ever before, this mechanic didn’t work to keep me engaged. Despite my misunderstanding of how it worked in this game, I did understood it in concept - though I have only a vague conception of whether or not I actually ever watched the movies or the show, it somehow made a pretty big impact on me as a kid - and I realize that conceptually it doesn’t come from a desire just to keep vanquished players interested. It ultimately felt like a missed opportunity, although realistically, anything really interesting would probably have been a huge headache for the GM.

I’m late to this party and my points have already been covered but there you go anyway. I’ll end with my positive notes! Overall I thought the concept and execution was excellent, and really it solved many of the issues with our previous games. I suspect the new one may be the answer to this, but I think taking this level of abstraction (vs. getting bogged down in the details, e.g. space banking or vehicle repair) to our more traditional cooperation-based Lemonade Stand style game would be ideal, at least for this community (though on that point I wholeheartedly welcome the new players and the unique contributions everyone brings).

I did particularly like the prompts for us to give ourselves history lessons - clearly a lot of research went into setting up each round (or simply a brilliant mind I suppose) and the most fun part for me, really, since I didn’t feel I should attempt to weave my narrative with anyone else’s since I couldn’t fully commit a lot of time, was trying to find clever ways to work with the history. I ended up in a lot of wiki-holes.

I’m glad as always we had our full assortment of characters, from extremely silly to really rather serious, and that everyone somehow is able to mesh all of that together - here I chose an absurd character but wrote it with more-or-less a straight face so that was fun for me (that was my idea of doing something different with my character for once, though how different it actually was is arguable).

11 Likes

My Dear Devil,

I never preach.

Friends do not recognize “Preachers,” so my being a “Preacher” is a logical impossibility.

I do lead, and occasionally “instrsuct,” but I never preach.

Your in Truth,

Mr. Collins
(who will hopefully never be heard from again – certainly not at Weatherby :wink:

7 Likes

And now that it’s January 15th!

quietly kicks calendar under the table

That means it’s time to present the tabulated results of the Players’ Choice Awards!

Favorite Character Concept

Every game brings an array of character concepts as diverse and imaginative as the number of players who sign on to help tell the story. Many concepts were lauded and honorable mentions go to:

The Worker (@manwich)
Jane (@MalevolentPixy)
Mr. Collins (@David_Falkayn)
Ronald Belford “Bon” McEvoy (@Donald_Petersen)

The players’ choice for favorite character concept is awarded to:

@old! For the concept of Mom!

Best Character Development

Inside of every game, players have the opportunity to tell, embellish, and evolve a unique story. In this category we have a few consistently recognized characters. Honorable mentions go to:

Jane (@MalevolentPixy)
Zero Demos (@daneel)

And the players’ choice award for best character development is awarded to:

@teknocholer for the compelling and intertwined stories of Other Pendragon and Myfanwy!

Character You Were Saddest to See Defeated

Learning that a bracket structure is less than optimal for a PvP game meant losing a lot of fascinating character voices to the ruthless process of single elimination. Loss of a single player voice is always a cause for sadness and the honorable mention goes to:

Ennis (@gwwar)

While the players’ choice award goes to:

@Nightflyer for her excellent characterization of Evelyn Wolff!

I want to extend a sincere thanks to everyone that spent any number of hours crafting the stories of these characters that were birthed from the minds of the players behind them. I hope the process of exploring that story was satisfying in its own way, for storytelling is what bring us together both here in an offbeat forum game as well as in our own lives. Telling stories together makes us what we are, and for that I thank you for creating another one.

12 Likes

It was a close thing (in terms of the registration deadline), but I’m all in: Redoubtable Downtown Space Abbey - Call for Players

Thanks for the encouragement. I’ll gladly stand you a round should our paths cross at the Leviathan Club.

3 Likes

Wow! Thank you all… :blush: Honestly, I found myself making much of it up as I went along. But it was sure fun doing it.

Unfortunately, unless I come up with something in the next-- ~checks clock~ --twenty minutes or so, I’ll be sitting out the next game. I’d love to play, but I’ve got no ideas for a character in that 'verse… maybe next round.

Edit-- l might have something after all. Let’s see if I can type it up in time…

4 Likes

Feel free to take the time to write it up to your satisfaction - the door is technically open until game start tomorrow night - we’ve certainly had stragglers brought into the group after deadline before…

4 Likes