The Arrivals Lounge

I smell a wumpus.

8 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Ancient History

Can we please split off the comic discussion to a new topic and keep this as an Arrivals thread?

Thank you!

10 Likes

Thanks for dropping in (also, your profile pic back at boing is amazingly sexy, like, “bishoujo come to life” sexy). Welcome to the cafe @honeybunches , no greater hive of scum and villainy than here.

8 Likes

At the moment @lockecj is the only one with merge and split privs. While I wait for the splittage, I’d like to talk about how the events of the past week and half have taught me about forgiveness.

When the On Redemption topic was posted on boing, I was very much of the mind that one shot was all I give somebody. Seemed reasonable, right? If a person was a bigoted asshole but otherwise wonderful they are still a bigoted asshole and not somebody I want in my life.

If only that were true, hm. My parents have made some racist remarks. But I didn’t cut them off (probably because I’ve been jobless for the past seven months and having to rely on their support) or write them off. And one person taught me a lot about forgiveness in an MMO, of all things.

The story goes back a year to when I first started playing FOnline. I joined a small, four-person faction, who got gear and powerlevelling from a more established clan - The Khans. So we merged into The Khans. One of my assignments was to infiltrate and destroy another faction, which I performed perfectly.

A year later, having sold all my characters, the first person to help me was the leader of the faction that I had infiltrated and destroyed. He invited me to his new faction, one that I intend to build into a fighting force.

See, The Khans turned out to be total, misogynistic, xenophobic, dicks.

I don’t hate jlw. I recognize now that the formation of a community at BB was a sheer damn accident, and that it’s for the best we set up a new instance here. I’m trying to move on from being angry, and trying to channel that into building the best possible community we can here.

Did Rob act rude or brusquely? Some posts in that thread do come across as that. I’m not sure if the Community Guidelines were a thing back then. If they were, Kimmo was in the wrong as well (and also missed the goddamn point: characters have no agency of their own). My advice to Kimmo? The past is prologue. If a player I betrayed can entrust me with running his faction on a day-to-day basis, Kimmo can put the past behind and attempt good-faith engagement in the future.

I also apologize to Jeff (@codinghorror) for the unwarranted, unfair comparison to ESR. Jeff is a decent chap, without whom I would never have stumbled on Escher Girls in the first place. He’s a little more secularist French than I’d like, but overall, Jeff is a Good GuyTM.

I personally don’t have time to hold onto grudges. At this point in time, I have my hands full helping build a community and lighting the way for others.

10 Likes

I agree with @Nightflyer. Let’s keep this about arrivals. If you want to air grievances, talk to the stick.

Welcome @honeybunches. If you’re here to support, I’m glad you came.

13 Likes

Greetings kids! This will be an interesting experiment.

26 Likes

Welcome, @TobinL

We have come here to chew bubblegum and think of witty remarks, and I’m all out of witty remarks. Don’t mind the renovations - place is still in the early stages and could use some paint - but we hope to build it better, together.

3 Likes

Done. Sorry for the delay.

6 Likes

Hello.
Er, um, got me some catching up to do. :blush:

18 Likes

Welcome, @sosumi. Thanks for flying mutant air, and welcome to Galt’s Gulch the community run BBS

6 Likes

Would you kindly hand me your golf club?

2 Likes

I don’t hate j. There are very few people I hate, and all from offline, and all do more damage than a train collision. But I don’t trust him, when it comes to the welfare of the community. Especially in light of the tweets. Call it petty, call it punching down, call it the bullying that it is: using the platform you have to name1 and shame people with less power for the sole crime of disagreeing with your opinion does not make you the good guy.

Yes, the community often made (and makes) jokes about people being “disappointed in…” but it was always a one and done unless the same member did it again. You had to read the conversation, and see the context (unless it had been deleted, wherein I assumed it was usually too ragey to leave up. Now, I am not so sure). It wasn’t in an almost “enemies list” form.

And like I said in that forgiveness post, the person needs to recognise that they did damage and at least try not to do so moving forward. Even with some temporal distance, I don’t see that, with him.

17 Likes

I though this was Anarres.

2 Likes

whattup, dude?!

5 Likes

Hi. Here, but going back to bed.

If you haven’t and care to, please swing by our former demesne and post on crenquis’ othermichael happy birthday thread.

(He beat me to creating it by just a few hours. I was going to wait for approximately dawn stateside. Shakes fist!!!)

24 Likes

Yeah that’s how he introduced it to me to: "you got to do it like the monkeys do it dad "

8 Likes

When they get older, a statement like that can take on a whole new meaning. Cherish it while it lasts. :wink:

8 Likes

Finally got the confirmation email to hit somewhere in my email. Good stuff.

18 Likes

Them ain’t no monkeys, them’s bonobos. :wink:

8 Likes