2018 U.S. election results, How'd you do?

Being Minnesotan, we were able to keep a blue senate and Governor. But some special highlights:

Ilhan Omar: 5th district representative replaces Keith Ellison. Somalian refugee, woman of color and Muslim. A perfect response to Trump.

Dave Hutch: Hennepin County sheriff, Defeated Trump/ICE supporting incumbent, supports deescalation training for officers, married to husband Justin, has a dog, rides a Harley.

9 Likes

Also being a Minnesotan, I’m very pleased.

Being a Minnesotan in exile, less so. My other home states didn’t go for Beto, didn’t oust Steve King, and didn’t oust Scalise. But my new home did vote to require unanimous juries, so that’s good!

7 Likes

6 Likes

MIssouri, and St Louis County, both did reasonably well-ish except for losing a DINO Senate seat to a Trumpkin.

Our state legislature didn’t exactly have a blue wave, but the Democrat we liked from our district got in.

We voted for a minimum wage increase (*), medical marijuana (the best of three options on the ballot), and an election reform bill that reduces lobbyist power and fixes redistricting. We voted down a gas tax increase that would have gone 75% to the Highway Patrol.

The county got zoo funding, requires voter approval to sell county park land to private companies, and reigned in County Executive powers a bit.

(*) in a previous recent election, voters in the City of St. Louis (which is independent of the county) chose an $11/hr minimum wage and the state legislature blocked it. Now it’s going to be $12/hr statewide.

7 Likes

NO MORE RICK "THE ‘P’ IS SILENT AS GOVERNOR OF MICHIGAN!

Debbie Stabenow, who when she first elected to the US Senate from MI back in the 1990s, and other frosh Senators were asked by Spy what they thought of ethnic cleansing in Freedonia. I remember reading about that in the Detroit News when it happened, too. And thank goodness for the Internet:
https://www.nytimes.com/1993/01/13/us/isn-t-freedonia-next-to-oz.html

And cannabis is legal for recreational usage in Michigan now, too! I WANT MY MMMP LICENSE FEE BACK, DAMMIT!!!

15 Likes

Tennessee showed instead of being “The Volunteer State”, they are “The Ignorant State”. The only up side is that the people who support the TGOP won’t have any insurance now and will die off that much faster (natural selection you know).

5 Likes

Didn’t the same thing happen in KY (the Jelly State)? More like the “spineless jellyfish” state.

5 Likes

Illinois did great in general, but my personal favorite is someone who really seems to be exactly the right person for the job she’s now won: intelligent, competent, ethical, caring, public-service oriented, etc. etc. But to flip a normally solid-R congressional district to the first BLACK WOMAN, who’s a Democrat no less? Oh, yeah!!!

12 Likes

Hurrah!

My state isn’t racist!

kind of sucks that the rest of the country didn’t follow through en masse.

9 Likes

Dead Republican pimp wins anyway in Nevada?

7 Likes
14 Likes

I work in Bloomfield Hills, an “elite” and red area north of Detroit. I couldn’t believe I saw signs for a BLACK REPUBLICAN MILITARY VETERAN up on some of the lawns! And he lost to Debbie Stabenow, anyhow.

6 Likes

4 Likes

CA did okay, with the exceptions of Feinstein still hanging in there and the defeat of the rent control initiative.

Hopefully Steve Knight’s, Darrell Issa’s, and Dana Rohrabacher’s districts all flip.

4 Likes

That would be nice!

MD remained blue except for governor (again). The Dem candidate ran a non-existent campaign, as far as I could tell.

3 Likes

Also, we Michiganians got non-partisan redistricting, automatic voter registration, and easier absentee ballots passed. And my Congresswoman is now Rashida Tlaib, one of the two first Muslim women elected to Congress. (I met her on more than one occasion when she went door-to-door in state representative campaigns.) She’s a progressive and a real fighter; I’m expecting good things from her.

10 Likes

And my former home district re-elected Republican shitbird Duncan Hunter the Lesser despite his thievery, indictment, and being stripped of all his committee memberships. Which is a pity, because Campa-Najjar might have been an interesting choice.

2 Likes

This, so much this:

Go ahead and villify individuals like cheating coward Brian Fucking Kemp. Go ahead and criticise the systems that allow for the oppression and disenfranchisement of hundreds of thousands of people. But when you write off the state, you are writing off those same people, and the people who worked their asses off to get a lot of these races ss close as they were.

Instead of writing them off, try to figure out how to help those who might be able to change things, if they could just climb all the hurdles that were deliberately placed in their way.

Good people deserve better than being abandoned.

15 Likes

Not my state, and not exactly a surprise, but I’m excited:

12 Likes

The cheating coward Brian Fucking Kemp has just doxxed thousands of Georgians.

https://twitter.com/leahmcelrath/status/1060298988891582464

Edited to change link to one without a link to the offending doc.

3 Likes