2018 Winter Olympics

I didn’t. In most string theories there are lots of extra dimensions, all curled up. String theories involve things being curled on steroids.
If I lived in Scotland I’d probably take up curling. It’s like a Newtonian physicist’s dream game.

4 Likes

20 minutes: Haaarrrd, haaarrrd, HAAAARRRD!”

It’s mesmerizing, and a good half of my hockey team is obsessed with watching it.

8 Likes

90 min: Okay, now if he can do a hit and stick on that yellow, they should be okay, otherwise their best move is to try and go for that one at the back of the four-foot and hope the shooter rolls in behind as third shot.

8 Likes

I was seeing Swing movements set to rock music in the Grishuk and Platov video. Not sure what “Rock-n-Roll” dance would be, but that would be my ignorance of any ballroom/icedance definition (I usually just pogo, and tend to think of the twist, the monkey, etc as for soul music.) Those kicks while they dipped their bodies looked like a skate interpretation of a Swing rock-step, but of course as there was bleed-over in the music’s transformation from jazz to r&b to rock, the dancing also followed suit from what I can tell from such artifacts as the beginning of Blackboard Jungle

3 Likes

That is a really nice program.

2 Likes

Well, Matt Lauer is gone, so that’s an improvement at least.

8 Likes

Johnny Weir - love them! They were gender bending before it was cool.

2 Likes

can i just get a HELL YEAH for how awesome the US snowboarding team has been this year? omg.
:1st_place_medal: :tada: :us: :snowboarder:

6 Likes

I do hope the young Japanese rider isn’t too severely injured. That was a hell of a crash on his second run.

[update] It was Yuto Totsuka, and I can’t find any updates on his condition beyond “hip pain”.

4 Likes

I really enjoyed that time Matt Lauer had pinkeye and had to go on the air anyway.

1 Like

Man, that hit was pretty harsh. Landing the board flat and the impact compressing his whole body, I’m not surprised “hip pain.” Hip was the worst injury I’ve ever had.
Team Japan was really good.

2 Likes

On the men’s side, Japan may be the future team to watch in half-pipe. Shawn White is a demi-god in snowboarding, but there doesn’t appear to be a US prodigy on his heals. (I also think he’d be a fool to return to the Olympics in 4 years - always leave on a high note!)

Chloe Kim, though, is poised to dominate the women’s field for at least the next decade. She has absolutely raised the bar.

4 Likes

agree strongly. White dominated but, while team USA had a lot of qualifiers and did well overall, team Japan had 3 qualifiers who all had high scores. They and the one Australian fellow held back everyone except White, who would be a fool to return in 4 years and I’m sure he knows that.

Kim just made everyone else look silly out there. Though, when I saw her on X-Games, the difference was there but not as noticeable.

2 Likes

i haven’t been able to catch all the runs yet, so i haven’t seen Ayumu Hirano’s run and fall. i hope he’s ok, those halfpipe falls are bad juju.

as far as who’s following in Shaun White’s steps, maybe it’s time for the women to be the dominating half of the US snowboarding team… Chloe Kim is the only person who can even DO some of the things Shaun White can do. she’s outstanding.

4 Likes

Oh, man. That was brutal.

A few places have said he got lucky and didn’t suffer any serious injuries. One lucky SOB if that’s the case.

4 Likes

His youth helped him, no doubt. Still partially made of rubber at 16.

4 Likes

Aljona Savchenko and Bruno Massot skated so beautifully last night. It’s so nice to see skaters when they are on and completely in the flow. I don’t know how the pairs skaters do it, because they both have to be in that place, but it was gorgeous to watch. I wish they would allow the video to be online.

Edited to add - they didn’t have the Gold performance available, but this really lovely performance by the North Korean team is online. https://www.nbcolympics.com/video/north-korean-skaters-dazzle-free-skate

edited again - they do have it!

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/aliona-savchenko-fifth-olympic-appearance-wins-pairs-gold-bruno-massot

2 Likes

12 Likes

This should not be possible, but it happened:

https://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/ester-ledecka-takes-surprise-gold-women-super-vonn-falls-6th.html

A snowboarder. On borrowed skis. Against the rest of the world’s best.

9 Likes

Apparently the margin here was by less than 10 inches as well. Talk about a great Olympic moment.

3 Likes