2018 Winter Olympics

AND, up until that, she was in something like 17th place. INSANITY!

1 Like

I really enjoyed watching the Shibutanis skating. I think I enjoy them so much because I am only a year older than my brother and we were so close through our childhood and teen years. It’s nice to watch a brother and sister supporting each other and having fun together.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/maia-alex-shibutani-make-history-their-own-pyeongchang

2 Likes

3 Likes

He also admits Norway is blessed with many advantages for Winter Olympics dominance, like snow, a history of excellence in sports like biathlon and cross-country skiing, and free health care (emphasis mine), which helps keep young athletic talent in good shape.

9 Likes

That’s interesting. The other day I was listening to the radio, and the announcers were wondering how it was Norway, the Netherlands, and Canada consistently did well at the Olympics when the
US was right there with a much larger population and more money to throw at the team.

Universal health care is an intriguing X factor.

8 Likes

They also point out that “organized youth sports teams cannot keep score until they are 13” there. They just learn the skills and play freely until then, so they have years of enjoyment before competition sets in.

8 Likes

So into the roller skating light up pandas.

1 Like