A Phrase in Search of a Meaning

My daughter has a whole list of these phrases in search of a meaning, and we have wanted to make an interactive site about it. Maybe this will be a place for it.

Here’s some phrases we are trying to get going:

“I boiled one too many eggs”

“The cat’s in the chimney”

Feel free to add your own phrases or suggest ways to use them in a sentence.

10 Likes

“Two quarks short of a baryon”

13 Likes

Slightly off topic but you’ve just reminded me of teaching 2 Taiwanese women the phrase “all mouth, no trousers” whilst at Uni.

8 Likes

One to use when meson around.

12 Likes

I like this one. Basically someone who overdoes it, gold-plates everything they do.

7 Likes

We’ve been toying with it as an expression of trying to do too many things at once, like, “Oops, I think I boiled one too many eggs!”

8 Likes

Also there is the classic “Oy with the poodles already!” from Gilmore Girls.

6 Likes

“Don’t bet on money.”

11 Likes

It may not look like it, but it’s already too late. The house might look clean and tidy but the cat is most assuredly in the chimney again, and sooner or later it’s coming out an angry ball of soot that will bounce off the walls and tear up the furniture.

Alice and Bob seem like a happy couple, but if they can’t agree on what city they want to live in i’d say the cat’s in the chimney for them.

With article 50 signed, the cat is well and truly in the chimney for Brexit.

It’s tricky finding phrases that’s are sufficiently ambiguous for this game, no? I’d like to know what it means to “pick one’s nose with both hands”, please. Also, when would you accuse someone of “stacking kittens”?

13 Likes

Stacking kittens? They’re obviously arguing in bad faith by trying to look overly cute and harmless but it’s all fluff and no substance.

Joe knew Amy was right about buying a new stove but since he wanted golf clubs instead, he started stacking kittens so he could get his way.

7 Likes

And I’m still trying to retcon a meaning into this:

13 Likes

Thats what you yell when you get a full bakery.

6 Likes

Easy peasy

The kids ran out of easter dye, I guess I boiled one too many eggs.

What’s that smell? The cat’s in the chimney.

Am I doing this right, or am I putting the dead cat outside of the box?

10 Likes

Is it anything like lead in your pencil?

Marzipan in my pie plate sounds wonderful…

6 Likes

:notes: and the silver spoon, Little Boy Blue and… :notes:

No, wait, that’s not quite right.

16 Likes

That’s a tax on people bad at math.

When stores have just unique pricing on things.

True life example from today. I needed roughly six feet of 2" PVC. When I got to Lowe’s, they came in 2’, 5’, & 10’ lengths. I knew really I only needed 5 foot, but 6’ gave me room for screwing up. The 5’ piece was $4.44. The 2’ piece was $4.88. So for an additional 44¢ you get 3 less feet.

13 Likes

You never go full bakery.

12 Likes

The grandfather of comedian Jackie Vernon whispered to him on his deathbed, “Remember, boy, wet birds don’t fly at night.”

7 Likes

Well you know what they say six and a half of one half a bakers dozen of the other.

4 Likes

Reminded because of something I posted elsewhere - I like to describe myself as dancing to the beat of a different drummer

2 Likes